Home » Thesis » Writing master thesis abroad in japan

Writing master thesis abroad in japan

Writing master thesis abroad in japan for doing an exchange semester

I am enrolled in a Master’s program (Computational Science and Engineering) in Germany and currently I am looking for a Master’s Thesis abroad, preferably in the US or in Canada. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to apply for a thesis and to be honest I am walking around in a vicious circle.

What I’ve done so far: My first step was to visit the international office at our university. The lady there told me that I should have a look at some university/institute websites, look for specific research areas/topics of my interest and write application letters to the respective persons.

Additionally, I went to one of my professors who gave me a list of people that he has worked with in the past and which probably might have interesting topics available. However, after carefully working through the list and writing down what looked interesting to me he told me that there’s a 99% chance that my application will be ignored or denied if I don’t explicitly describe what work I want to do. So actually his attempt to help was not of much use to me.

My main concern is: How can I know what I want to do if I don’t know what is being offered? Most departments do not explicitly offer positions, in particular I haven’t found a single offer for a master thesis at US/Canada department sites.

My area of interests involves fields such as the numerical treatment of partial differential equations (e.g. finite elements, solvers for hyperbolic problems. ), numerical linear algebra, etc. However, if there is no disclosure of potential necessities for a master student I don’t see a chance to describe my interests more specific than that. On the other hand, I am afraid that my applications will be interpreted as “bulk letters” if I just write down everything that I would like to work with.

Writing master thesis abroad in japan What types and methods are

I also thought of reading through some publications/papers of the respective persons, which would be very time consuming. But regarding the fact that I can have at most a slight insight into the respective topics and that I don’t even know if there is any need for further work at a master student’s level I don’t think it is reasonable to spend too much time with that without a gleam of any success.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with some hints on how to come across that. It would be even better if someone who faced the same situation and succeeded could share her/his approach.

asked Nov 18 ’14 at 9:45

I did part of my own Master’;s work in the US (coming from Austria). In my case, I arranged to do a thesis with a professor at my university who then offered this possibility (it may be worth noting that the topic of my thesis was really only decided upon after I came to the US). I think this kind of “unofficial” path may often be easier than to apply on your own. That said, my current boss (back in Austria) does take unsolicited applications from abroad seriously also for prospective Master’;s students, and has invited applicants for interviews. xebtl Nov 18 ’14 at 10:13

@scaaahu Besides personal interest there is no actual need for doing it there. I want to broaden my cultural horizon and have the opportunity to see how research works in other countries. But doesn’;t that hold for almost every exchange activity?

Writing master thesis abroad in japan treatment of partial differential equations

I mean, there is also no need for doing an exchange semester, still a lot of people do it. But I will think more about it, thank you. andreee Nov 18 ’14 at 10:16

It should also be said that (at least AFAIK) in the US, when people enter graduate school (i.e. the program to get a Master’;s or PhD), it is not necessarily decided yet whether they will do a Master’;s, or directly a PhD; and I believe most people go directly for the doctorate (an option which you do not really have in Europe). xebtl Nov 18 ’14 at 10:17

Master’s have a different meaning in North-America than in Germany. While the Master’s thesis typically closes the university studies in Germany, it is considered ‘graduate studies’ in North America (the Bachelor is considered the ‘university degree’ and the majority of students join the workforce with it). Masters are either specializations or given to graduate students who wish or have to stop graduate school before completing a PhD. That is the reason why you didn’t find any offers for ‘Master’s theses’ on institution websites there.

You approach of asking a local faculty for contacts is probably your best shot, don’t give up. Narrow down to a few options and write them an email, explaining your skills, interests and field of study. Ask if they can think of a possible project for you. In your inquiries explain the requirements for a foreign Master thesis host at your university. Stress out the fact that you are merely asking for the right to use the local facilities and a co-supervision of your work. In my case, a professor told me about a project he had in mind, and I expanded it in a short proposal that was accepted by the local faculty and my program.

North-American professors have to worry about funding for their local Master students. You have to make clear that you want to be a visiting student and thus you will most likely be able to waive tuition fees (with some exceptions, like MIT). Along that line, explain that like Masters students in Germany, you will pay for your ramen noodles yourself and don’t necessarily need a stipend if it can’t be provided (on that note, Canada and the USA require that you prove you have sufficient means to support yourself while on their territory, so start a piggy bank).

With this in mind, there are few reasons for a group leader abroad not to consider your project, since you might contribute to their research while not costing anything. These few reasons include: too much supervision burden already.

answered Nov 18 ’14 at 15:55

For Prospective Students

What kinds of information related to study in Japan are available at Japanese diplomatic establishments abroad?

Japanese diplomatic establishments overseas provide literature related to studying in Japan that you may read at the establishment. They include the following:

  • General information related to studying in Japan (i.e. necessary preparations, educational facilities, immigration procedures, living in Japan)
  • Literature concerning the Japanese system for foreign students
  • Literature related to scholarships
  • Information related to Japanese universities (university and undergraduate department guide), graduate schools, special training colleges and Japanese-language institutes)
  • Information regarding accommodations in Japan
  • Sample entrance examinations for foreign students

Japanese diplomatic establishments in countries where there are large numbers of students interested in studying in Japan have former foreign students and other people who are knowledgeable about Japan on hand to serve as foreign student advisors (please note, however, that they are not full-time staff). They provide assistance as well as consultation. Local explanatory meetings are held once to several times a year in areas that are located at a distance from such diplomatic establishments, so if this applies to you, we suggest that you attend such a meeting.
Six Japanese embassies and consulates (located in Beijing and Shanghai, China; the Republic of Korea; Malaysia; Indonesia; Thailand) have special space set aside to provide information about studying in Japan. Full-time foreign student advisors are on hand at these embassies and consulates to provide information as well as consultation.

Do I need a guarantor for entry into Japan?

The regulation that made a guarantor necessary to acquire entry and status of residence in Japan was abolished in December 1996. Therefore, you no longer need a guarantor to enter Japan as a foreign student.
However, please note that even if you are Japanese, guarantors are often required in many aspects of life in Japan. For example, you need a guarantor when you are renting an apartment, taking an entrance examination or gaining admission to a Japanese university or special training college. After admission, you may also need a guarantor when you are making an application for a scholarship or tuition subsidies. Guarantors are needed for both Japanese and foreign students alike in such cases. Therefore, although you no longer need a guarantor to gain entry into Japan, there will be many situations when they are needed after you arrive in Japan.
If you are considering studying in Japan, it is important that you inquire with the school you are planning to attend regarding the need for guarantors since policies differ depending on the school. For example, if you are enrolling in a Japanese-language institute, the school may become your guarantor while you are a student of the institute.

How much tuition and living expenses do I need to study abroad?

I need information on how to apply for a student visa.

What qualifications do I need for admission to a school in Japan?

A “Temporary Visitor” visa is required when entering Japan to take an exam. When applying for this visa, the exam slip from the concerned school must be presented to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country. This visa allows the applicant 15, 30 or 90 days stay in Japan. If the applicant is admitted into a school during this period, the applicant may apply to change his/her status to “College Student” in Japan.

What types and methods are available for studying in Japan?

I need information on the Japanese educational system.

What degrees can be obtained under the Japanese educational system?

A bachelor’s degree is conferred upon those who have completed undergraduate studies. To graduate with a bachelor’s degree, a student must study at a university for at least 4 years (at least 6 years in the cases of medicine, dentistry and veterinary science) and acquire at least 124 credits (188 credits in the case of medicine or dentistry and 182 credits in the case of veterinary science).

A master’s degree is conferred upon those who have completed postgraduate studies in a master’s course. To graduate with a master’s degree, a student must study at a graduate school for 2 years in principle (or the required number of years for research courses or fields of specialty that have set a different standard), acquire at least 30 credits in his or her special field, as well as receive necessary research guidance and pass examinations conducted by the graduate school such as writing a master’s thesis that is judged satisfactory.

A doctorate is conferred upon those who have completed postgraduate studies in a doctor’s course. To graduate with a doctor’s degree, a student must, in principle, study at least 5 years in a graduate school (3 years for those who have completed a master’s program), acquire at least 30 credits, receive necessary research guidance and write a doctoral thesis that is judged satisfactory and pass an examination.

This is the degree conferred upon graduates of junior colleges and colleges of technology.
Junior colleges: To graduate from a junior college, students must, in principle, attend the junior college for at least 2 years and acquire at least 62 credits in the case of 2-year colleges, or, in the case of 3-year colleges, attend for at least 3 years and obtain at least 93 credits.
Colleges of technology: To graduate from a college of technology, the student must, in principle, attend for at least 5 years and acquire at least 167 credits.

Graduates of post secondary courses of special training colleges that have been accredited by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology as those fulfilling necessary requirements, such as minimum course attendance of least 2 years and a total of at least 1,700 hours of instruction, can call themselves “qualified specialists.”

How do I choose a university?

I need information on studying at a Japanese professional training college.

I need information on studying at a Japanese high school.

Share this:
custom writing low cost
Order custom writing