Below is a sample letter for Task 1 of the General IELTS Writing Section. It is an informal letter, which can be identified in several ways:
- the tone, which is warm, easy-going and conversational
- the use of first names (Ajay, Sunita, Carol)
- the use of contractions (I’ve, don’t, can’t)
- the use of informal expressions (“Thanks”, instead of “Thank you”)
- the closing salutation ( “Warm wishes”, instead of the more formal “Yours sincerely” or “Yours faithfully”)
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
Last month you had a holiday overseas where you stayed with some friends. They have just sent you some photos of your holiday.
Write a letter to your friends. In your letter:
- thank them for the photos and for the holiday
- explain why you didn’t write earlier
- invite them to come and stay with you
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any address.
Begin your letter as follows:
Dear Ajay and Sunita,
Thanks so much for your kind letter and the lovely photos of my holiday in Mumbai. Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your mail, but your package arrived just as I was about to leave town on a business trip. I’ve just returned to Toronto today.
Looking at the photos brings back so many happy memories of the times we spent together and the wonderful hospitality you extended to me. I felt completely pampered by both of you! You surrounded me with warm friends, good food, amazing sights, great shopping, unforgettable cultural events and laughter-filled evenings. I would have been lost without you. I can’t thank you enough.
These good memories gave me an idea. I know you’ve always wanted to visit Canada. Why don’t you plan a holiday and stay with me this summer?
The weather is great at that time of year, all tourist sites are open and I could take two weeks off from work. Aside from seeing Toronto, we could drive to Niagara Falls, Thousand Islands, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City. I would be thrilled if you could make it.
Thank you both again for the beautiful holiday and the photos which are already up on my wall. Now, I’m looking forward to hearing from you.