Dissertations Theses within the Bodleian Social Science Library
- The SSL does hold dissertations created by students on selected social science (usually Masters) courses. They are stored within the Theses and Dissertations portion of the library, near the periodicals.
- The SSL doesn’t make a copy of each and every thesis and dissertation created by social science students.
- Generally, D.Phil. theses are only able to be consulted in the Weston Library. and the newest can be found on ORA susceptible to a default 3 year embargo.
- M.Phil. dissertations in Politics and Worldwide Relations are not held in the SSL. They can be deposited in printed towards the Bodleian Library, but authors aren’t needed to deposit a duplicate in ORA.
- In certain subjects, only dissertations which received particularly kudos are held.
- Some departmental websites list titles of theses posted for his or her courses. In case your department doesn’t presently do that, it’s worth asking the administrator if you’ll be able to list these web based.
- Dissertations and theses are arranged by social science department (e.g. Criminology), the program name (e.g. Criminology and Criminal Justice), qualification level (e.g. M.Sc.), year of submission, and lastly the very first three letters from the author’s name, e.g. CRI.CCJ.Msc 2002 GIL.
- Some dissertations and theses are held for an additional courses:
- CRI = Criminology
- Criminlogy (M.Phil.)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice (M.Sc.)
- ECO = Financial aspects
- Financial aspects (D.Phil. M.Phil.)
- IDC = Worldwide Development
- Farming Financial aspects (D.Phil. M.Litt. M.Sc.)
- Financial aspects for Development (M.Sc.)
- Development Studies (M.Phil.)
- Global Governance Diplomacy (M.Sc.)
- POL = Politics Worldwide Relations
- Politics Worldwide Relations (D.Phil.)
- Politics, Philosophy and Financial aspects (BA)
- RSC = Refugee Studies
- Forced Migration (M.Sc.)
- SLS = Socio-Legal Studies
- Socio-Legal Studies (D.Phil.)
- Law Financial aspects (M.Sc.)
- SOC = Sociology
- Sociology (DPhil, MPhil, MSc)
- SPI = Social Policy Intervention
- Comparative Social Policy (M.Phil. M.Sc.)
- Evidence-Based Social Intervention
- SPW = Social Policy Social Work
- Applied Social Studies (M.Sc.)
- Comparative Social Policy (M.Phil. M.Sc.)
- Comparative Social Research (M.Phil. M.Sc.)
- Evidence-Based Social Intervention / Evidence-Based Social Work (M.Phil. M.Sc.)
- Graduate Diploma in Social and Administrative Studies
- Social Policy Social Work (D.Phil.)
- Social Research Social Policy (MSc)
Trying to find Oxford College Dissertations Theses
- College of Oxford theses are catalogued on SOLO .
- When searching in SOLO. make use of the keyword “thesis”, the qualification (e.g. M.Phil. M.Sc.), and also the course title (e.g. Financial aspects for Development) to locate theses and dissertations.
- Ensure punctuation is joined properly, i.e. “D.Phil.” instead of “DPhil”.
- SOLO collates search engine results from a variety of sources, including theses in an electronic format located on ORA (Oxford College Research Archive).
- The Bodleian Libraries Oxford e-Theses pages provide more details about ORA, including electronic versions of theses in D.Phil. M.Litt. and M.Sc.(by Research) programmes submtted since 2007.
- Theses locked in the Bodleian Stack could be requested towards the Weston Library for consultation.
Searching further afield
- Full text dissertations and theses are actually offered by ProQuest. If you’re outdoors the College network, login towards the database making use of your Single Sign-On. In case your browser doesn’t display the widget properly, connect straight to ProQuest .
- Various tools and sources to find details theses and dissertations using their company universities are available in OxLIP+. Click the “Subject” tab, and select “Theses and Dissertations”. Sources include:
- Index to Theses – details and abstracts of British and Irish theses dating back 1716
- Dissertations and Theses – index and abstracts of United States theses
- EThOS (Electronic Theses Online Service) – full text digital theses supplied by the British Library
- Substantial more information about non-Oxford theses are available around the Bodleian Libraries’ theses information page .
(To top )
Authors of theses is just protected. Readers must sign their name around the form right in front associated with a Oxford College thesis they consult, or leave their address and name in the issue desk. Copying of Oxford theses, even of merely one page, may need the author’s written permission. The last written consent from the author should be acquired just before including quotes from theses in printed work.
For additional info on the copying limitations which affect theses, contact Bodleian Libraries Special Collections. Copies of theses within their whole might be purchased in the British Library, or acquired via EThOS.
Oxford College theses within the SSL are Limited towards the library. Theses using their company universities, that are classified based on Library of Congress Classification and shelved within the primary library sequence, might be lent.
For more info on theses and dissertations, check out the Bodleian Libraries’ theses information page .
- Bodleian Libraries: Dissertations Theses
An extensive help guide to finding theses and dissertations within the Bodleian Libraries and beyond
Get help finding dissertations and theses in your subject using website guides produced by Oxford’s librarians
- Depositing your thesis
Rules on deposit of research theses (PDF, 81 KB)