Online applications for Fall 2017 is going to be available October 1, 2016.
DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 9, 2016.
(Worldwide student deadline is November 18, 2016.)
An MFA applicant’s undergraduate major might be in almost any discipline as lengthy as she or he has completed 27 semester hrs (40 quarter hrs) of labor in British or creative writing or perhaps a related field (any part of the humanities, arts, other languages, journalism, communications, etc.) and it has a GPA with a minimum of 3.2 overall. Coursework inside a language isn’t needed for admission. In some cases, students might be needed to consider additional courses in literary studies, based on their undergraduate levels. For those who have already earned an MFA in creative writing, or are while finishing an MFA enter in creative writing, you aren’t qualified for admittance to our program. By June 2015, the GRE is not needed included in the application.
The writing sample is an essential a part of the application: it ought to demonstrate the capability to create work of top quality and really should contain 15 to 25 pages of poetry, or 20 to 40 double-spaced pages of fiction or creative nonfiction (or a mix of poetry, fiction, and/or creative nonfiction). (Please be aware that admission is usually right into a single genre, to ensure that applicants should select carefully the genre that they need to be considered. However, all MFA students at OSU ought to take workshops outdoors their “home” genres, so effective applicants may have ample chance to understand more about multiple genres.) Additionally, applicants must submit an example of critical writing of eight to ten double-spaced pages. This short critical essay ought to be selected carefully, with special attention compensated not just to the prose but additionally to the making of a persuasive argument, the skill that’s in the centre of OSU’s First-Year Writing Program, by which all MFA student TAs will educate.
Since teaching first-year writing is probably the many possibilities and required our MFA students–and since all MFA students may have the chance to educate opening creative writing classes within their genres, and could have the opportunity to educate more complex classes too–each applicant can include an announcement that addresses his or her interest, background, and talents in teaching (this statement might be incorporated inside the autobiographical statement).
Admittance to the MFA Program is perfect for Fall Semester only. The internet application for Fall 2017 is going to be available October 1, 2016, having a deadline of December 9, 2016. (Worldwide students should apply by November 18th, 2016.)
Please send the next products with the OSUGraduate Admissions Office :
- the finished form and fee – submit online in the Graduate Admissions website. (Visit the Find Your Program tab, scroll to British, select Master of proper Arts)
- three (3) recommendations (see note below): Please have your recommenders submit letters digitally while using link that’ll be provided whenever you select this method in the web based application
- one official transcript of every academic record (transfer credit from another institution appearing on a single transcript isn’t sufficient): Upload together with your application towards the Graduate Admissions website one scanned copy of official transcript for every institution attended if you’re recognized towards the program, you’ll be requested to transmit a printed of the official transcript to Graduate Admissions. (Please be aware that counseling reports and/or web-based grade reports aren’t sufficient. While we don’t require the official transcript at this time, we all do need a copy of the official transcript.)
- an individual statement (1-2 single-spaced pages) that describes your background like a author and that are used for going after this degree this statement should address your writing interests in addition to briefly describe your interest and/or experience of teaching
- resumeOrcv (a maximum of two pages)
- creative writing sample (15 to 25 pages of poetry, or 20 to 40 double-spaced pages of prose, or a mix of poetry, fiction, or non-fiction prose of a maximum of 40 pages in most)
- critical writing sample (8-10 double-spaced pages): a brief scholarly/critical essay or part of an extended jobs are appropriate. This essay should demonstrate your abilities like a critical readers of the literary or related text, particularly what you can do to create a written argument. It’s helpful within the department’s assessment of the possibility to educate undergraduates.
- GRE General Test scores aren’t needed included in the application. However, for those who have taken the GRE and also submit your scores, please use GRE Institution code 1592 to make sure that your scores will be delivered to both Admissions and also to the Department of British. (GRE scores will also be not needed for fellowship consideration within this creative Master’s program.)
Please Be Aware: Don’t incorporate your Ssn on all of your application materials. In case your SSN is in your transcript(s), please redact if at all possible. (If this isn’t possible, you might still submit the transcript.)
For questions, the Creative Writing Program could be arrived at at 614-292-2242 or via email at cwMFA@osu.edu .
Students may receive transfer credit for graduate courses taken at other accredited universities when the Director of Graduate Studies deems individuals courses appropriate to the program.
MFA students entering this program may apply as much as 10 hrs of transfer credit towards their levels. Students wanting to request transfer credit should complete the “Request for Change in Graduate Credit” form obtainable in the Graduate School and also the Graduate Studies Office. Additionally, all graduated pupils may transfer 10 hrs of graduate work done at Ohio Condition like a non-degree graduate student.
An email about references:
Our preference is your recommenders be faculty who’ve trained you or authors acquainted with your projects, because these could be most helpful to all of us. But we know that for individuals who’ve been from school for a while, and individuals who’ve not took part in writing workshops or conferences, this can be impossible. You won’t be penalized with this, but we all do ask that you select your recommenders carefully from one of the options you have–individuals who may have had the chance to help you out or supervise your projects, for instance.