Updated April 08, 2016
There are many writing job scams available, believe me! But inside a couple many years of trying to find writing jobs around the internet, you’ll have the ability to sort the great, bad and ugly pretty rapidly. But, if you’re just getting began within the writing industry, listed here are a few warning flags to take into consideration when selecting writing jobs.
- Mega Dollars o’ Plenty. If you’re guaranteed 1000s of dollars each dayOr7 daysOrperhaps even monthly, tread gently. Sure, you will find writing jobs by which authors bill thousands monthly, however these possibilities are more inclined to come through networking and contacts, instead of via a random, anonymous posting. For view of that which you will be able to make, check out our listing of typical author rates.
- Little if any Experience Necessary. Ok, maybe you will find writing jobs available with little experience necessary, but make sure to refer to #1 above before getting started. Ensure that it stays real.
- Spammy Ads. Employers don’t really should turn to pleading to obtain employees.
- Page Views and Exposure! New Enterprise! Okay, so it isn’t really a gimmick, by itself, but it’s likely a similarly dangerous use of your energy. If your new enterprise, webzine, or blog community can’t pay something in advance, move ahead. This isn’t the area to “make your fame.” You are able to’t pay your light bill with "exposure." And, should you’re compensated exclusively according to traffic generated for your articles. be cautious.
- Fuzzy Math/Fuzzy Details. Associated with the above mentioned, don’t be forthcoming with your interviewer who isn’t as forthcoming along with you. Pay rates and responsibilities ought to be discussed in advance and freely.
- Fuzzy Site! No potential employer who’s around the up or more will hide behind the internet. You will be able to garner information on the organization, who they serve, and the things they’re doing in just a couple of emails.
- Send Us Samples! Some samples are required—many, many samples is overkill. Additionally, I won’t generally do custom samples, either. Potential employers: I could possibly supply you a paragraph in your subject, however i simply don’t have time to create an delinquent article around the off-chance which you may hire me.
- Bad Repetition. You will be able to get an understanding of the other freelancers consider the organization with only a little bit little bit of analysis. Take a look at your preferred blog communities and author forums. Check around.
Whew! So, where would be the good jobs, you may well ask? That’s easy. Begin with my report on telecommute writing jobs. and begin making your personal contacts and systems. The further you decide to go into this career, the less frequently you’ll begin using these lists. All the best.