1. A furniture piece typically getting a set or sloping top for writing and frequently drawers or compartments.
2. A table, counter, or booth where specified services or functions are carried out: an info desk a reception desk.
3. A department of a big organization responsible for a particular operation: a newspaper’s city desk.
5. A music stand it an orchestra.
[Middle British deske. from Medieval Latin desca. table. from Old Italian desco. from Latin discus. quoit see disk .]
1. (Furniture) a furniture piece having a writing surface in most cases drawers or any other compartments
2. (Furniture) something counter or table inside a public building, like a hotel: information desk.
3. (Furniture) an assistance, lectern, or book rest for that book that services are read inside a church
4. (Journalism Publishing) the editorial portion of a newspaper, etc, responsible for the subject: this news desk.
a. a music stand shared by two orchestral players
b. both of these players
a. designed for use in a desk: a desk calendar.
b. done in a desk: a desk job.
[C14: from Medieval Latin desca table, from Latin discus disc, dish]
1. articles of furniture getting an extensive, usu. level, writing surface, in addition to drawers or compartments for papers, writing materials, etc.
2. a frame for supporting a magazine that the services are read inside a church.
3. the section of a big organization, like a newspaper, getting responsibility for particular operations: the town desk.
4. a table or counter, as with a library or office, where a particular job is conducted or perhaps a service offered: the data desk.
5. a stand accustomed to support written music.
6. (within an orchestra) a seat or position assigned by rank (usu. utilized in combination): an initial-desk flutist.
7. of the size or form appropriate to be used on the desk: a desk dictionary.
8. done at or with different desk, as with a workplace or schoolroom: a desk job.
[1350� Middle British deske Medieval Latin desca, descus desk, lectern.]
Thesaurus Antonyms Related Words Synonyms Legend:
a furniture piece, frequently just like a table, for sitting at while writing, studying etc. She stored the pile of letters inside a drawer in her own desk. lessenaar, skoolbank писалище escrivaninha psac stl der Schreibtisch skrivebord arbejdsbord . . escritorio. pupitre. mostrador kirjutuslaud pyt bureau pisai stol, kolska klupa rasztal meja tulis skrifbor scrivania raomasis stalas rakstmgalds (skolas) sols pults (kasiera, reistratora u.tml.) darba vieta meja schrijftafel skrivebord. skatoll. kateter biurko () secretria birou, pupitru письменный стол psac stl pisalna miza sto [skriv]bord, [skol]bnk masa письмовий стіл конторка bn vit
front ___ mesa de admisin.