Procedures and policies
1. Committee Formation Member Needs
Students selects a subject market and views which member(s) within the faculty might be interested.
Students selects a seat the student has produced a great working relationship. Students are supplied with details about faculty backgrounds and research interests (see Appendix B – Psy.D. Program Clinical Dissertation Chair Information ) and could setup appointments with faculty people who they are thinking about dealing with.
When the chair is identified, the 2nd and third folks are selected in consultation while using the chair. The committee will direct, in consultation while using the student, all phases within the dissertation process, and could conduct the preliminary and final dental defenses.
- Everyone who serve on dissertation committees must hold an earned doctorate degree from an educationally accredited institution.
- Dissertation committees require no under three individuals.
- Chair – needs to be a whole-time, tenure track GSEP psychology faculty member.
- Second member (internal member) – needs to be a whole-time, tenured/tenure track psychology faculty member, a GSEP Clinic Director, Lecturer in psychology, or even an Emeritus Psychology faculty member.
- Third member (exterior member) – needs to be selected from outdoors the psychology full-time, tenured/tenure track, must possess an earned doctoral and expertise to steer for that supervision within the dissertation.
Carrying out a dissertation committee is created students must submit the next:
- Appendix A – Petition for Metabolic process of Clinical Dissertation Committee needs to be printed for that Psy.D. Program Administrator for approval using the Psy.D. Program Director Before scheduling the Preliminary Dental Defense. (Note: when the third committee member isn’t a complete-time Pepperdine faculty member from another department or maybe a present adjunct psychology faculty member, a curriculum vita needs to be printed coupled with Appendix A)
When the committee membership changes carrying out a committee remains constituted and approved, Appendix A-1 – Petition for Difference in Metabolic process of Clinical Dissertation Committee needs to be printed for that Psy.D. Program Administrator and approved with the Psy.D. Program Director.
2. Registration in Psy. 795 Clinical Dissertation Supervision
Students are required to connect in Psy. 795, Clinical Dissertation Supervision, with the fall semester of year 2, and every term next until they’ve effectively completed their clinical dissertation.
Enrollment units in Psy. 795 follows the next sequence:
- Year 2: Fall (.5), Spring (2), Summer time time time (1)
- Year 3: Fall (2), Spring (2), Summer time time time (1)
- Year 4: (2) units per term for as many as (6) units per academic year until finishing clinical dissertation.
Exceptions needs to be approved with the clinical dissertation chair along with the Psy.D. Executive Committee. Students who’ve not completed the dissertation using the finish within the third year of doctorate studies, may request the permission in the Clinical Dissertation Seminar instructor to go to conferences from the seminar group.
3. Proposal Preparation
The student’s chair and committee people gives you guidance during proposal preparation and could decide once the proposal is prepared for presentation inside the Preliminary Dental Defense.
Please reference the Psy.D. Clinical Dissertation Guide 2016 to get a lot of focusing the dissertation, different clinical dissertation methods and formats, and advancement of the clinical dissertation.
Clinical Dissertation Period Of Time
The different procedures in the dissertation process are summarized in Table 3 Advancement of the Clinical Dissertation within the Psy.D. Clinical Dissertation Guide 2016 and draws on the objective of finishing all phases within the dissertation before going on full-time internship within the 4th year. Specific dissertation activities and just how lengthy for every phase (e.g. data collection) may differ using the kind of clinical dissertation selected. Lots of students complete the very best writing within the dissertation with the 4th year within the program. Progression while using procedures in the dissertation based on this chart will facilitate the timely finishing the task.
Before scheduling the preliminary dental exam, students will submit the dissertation proposal (usually first three chapters of dissertation) through TurnItIn (TurnItIn Instructions ) using the “GSEP Writing Support” course in Courses (operated by Sakai).
Students will forward the report on their behavior for their dissertation chair.
The dissertation chair will measure the TurnItIn report, ensuring the bibliographic and quoted material are excluded inside the results, and rehearse students to solve any the whole process of originality, extensive quotation, improper quotation, etc. The dissertation chair is the reason ensuring the proposal is freed from plagiarism.
In situation of matching text, students may have the chance to repair and resubmit their proposals through TurnItIn as needed.
The dissertation chair will sign the student’s Appendix C – Preliminary Dental Examination Completion form to make certain review.
5. Preliminary Dental Defense (POD) – Presentation of research proposal (usually first 3 chapters of dissertation)
No under a couple of days before the preferred date within the preliminary dental defense, students should:
- Inform the Psy.D. Program Administrator to schedule the preliminary dental. The administrator will reserve a location and circulate an dental announcement.
- Email a pdf copy within the dissertation proposal for that Psy.D. Program Administrator.
In this particular 2 week period, all GSEP faculty offer an chance to look into the proposal and comment for that chair. The study proposal document needs to be presented in the way like the needs of APA format.
Although chairpersons may conduct the preliminary dental defenses differently, these orals basically contain three components.
- First, an exhibit using the student within the proposal adopted getting an issue and discussion period.
- Second, students and observers will most likely be excused inside the room and so the committee may deliberate the proposal along with the performance across the preliminary dental defense.
- Finally, a choice is created using the committee. The committee men and women sign Appendix C – Preliminary Dental Examination Completion which signifies the conclusion be a consequence of the preliminary dental defense. If there’s any requested modifications in the committee, the chair will condition students immediately after the Preliminary Dental Defense.
Transporting out a verbal defense, a duplicate within the proposal, the written summary inside the chair connected getting a needed changes, and Appendix C are maintained on record while using the program administrator.
Advancement to candidacy for the Psy.D. Program makes it necessary that students pass both Preliminary Dental Defense along with the Clinical Competence Examination.
6. Graduate Professional Schools Institutional Review Board (Gps navigation navigation navigation IRB) – While using Methodology
When the doctorate candidate has effectively completed the Preliminary Dental Defense, candidates must, underneath the direction within the chair, customize the Graduate Professional Schools IRB.
All doctorate students must receive Gps navigation navigation navigation IRB approval before you employ the research methodology. When the data collection involves humans, including whilst not restricted to, interviews, surveys, test scores, observations, and archival data involving individuals, pursuit is vulnerable to IRB review.
All GSEP psychology students submitting expedited or full review applications must first submit their research proposals for that Psychology Division Methods Review Committee for approval before submitting the proposal for Gps navigation navigation navigation IRB review.
For specifics of the Psychology Division Methods Review, understand the Psychology Division Methods Review Policy, or contact the Psychology Division Methods Review Committee, Dr. Cary Mitchell, at 310-506-8553 or at email@example.com.
Facts about the Gps navigation navigation navigation IRB process and applications can be found in the Pepperdine Community website for Graduate and Professional Schools IRB
NOTE: Candidates must consult with their chair any adjustments to the methodology. If changes impact human subject factors, candidates may must also resubmit the proposal for Gps navigation navigation navigation IRB review and approval.
7. Final Dental Defense (FOD) – Presentation of Dissertation Findings
The Very Best Dental Defense could be acquired for the educational community and tourists in the candidate. The intent within the examination should be to show the candidate has acquired the grade of scholarly advancement which enables these to be suggested for that College for the Doctoral. Candidates inside the final dental are basically protecting the dissertation findings and they are involved in scholarly challenges to methodology, analysis and conclusions.
No under a couple of days before the preferred date within the final dental defense, students should:
- Inform the Psy.D. Program Administrator to schedule the very best dental defense. The administrator will reserve a location and circulate final dental announcement.
- Submit a digital copy (Word files are fine) within the dissertation manuscript for that Psy.D. Program Administrator.
Although chairpersons may conduct the very best dental defenses differently, these orals basically contain three components.
- First, a student’s presentation of research findings.
- Second, an issue and discussion period.
- Finally, a choice is created using the committee. The committee men and women sign Appendix D – Final Dental Examination Completion which signifies the conclusion be a consequence of the best dental defense. If there’s any requested modifications in the committee, the chair will communicate individuals to students immediately after the very best dental defense. You will find three possible decision outcomes:
- Pass without revisions
- Pass with revisions
Students who pass with revisions must make requested revisions for dissertation using the date per the committee.
It’s the students responsibility to possess Form E-1 – Approval of ultimate Clinical Dissertation Manuscript signed by their chair inside their Final Dental Defense.
When students does fail, the student’s committee will need major revisions, selection of additional data, and/or any other steps to improve the standard of the dissertation, the report, or possibly the ultimate defense. In addition, the problem will most likely be reviewed using the Psy.D. Executive Committee that may make additional strategies for the dissertation committee or possibly a student. Transporting out another failure, the Psy.D. Executive Committee combined with the school Panel may think about the dismissal within the student inside the program.
8. Dissertation APA Format Clearance
(electronic documents are actually recognized)
Once the candidate has acquired the approvals and signatures within the committee people, all doctorate candidates must submit their dissertations for that Dissertation Support Office for APA format review. A clearance using the Dissertation Office is needed to ensure that Pepperdine College format needs and APA style guidelines are really maintained.
After notifying your Program Administrator, submit the next for that Assistant Manager of Writing Support:
When the Assistant Manager of Writing Support has confirmed that necessary forms along with the dissertation versions are received, students will get an initial contact email outlining the procedure for APA Format Review. Or no format changes are very important carrying out a preliminary review, the Dissertation Office will return the edited dissertation for that student and so the student will make revisions and resubmit an up-to-date version. APA clearance is going to be provided once all requested changes are really implemented.
The recommended submission deadline is six (6) days before the finish within the term where the degree is printed. Manuscripts will most likely be recognized following this deadline for review nevertheless the Dissertation Office may be unable to accomplish all of the necessary plans prior to the amount posting that term.
When the manuscript remains removed for APA review, the removed dissertation and clearance letter outlining the steps for final document submission will most likely be emailed for that student.
9. Continuous Enrollment Status
Dissertation students who’ve effectively completed their final dental defense and who’ve printed all of the necessary forms and dissertation manuscript for APA review using the drop/add deadline they can fit in PSY 801 Dissertation Completion and they are required to cover a cost of $100.
Students can handle join PSY 801 for roughly two consecutive terms. When the dissertation is not removed by APA and/or possibly the dissertation submission to ProQuest is not completed within two terms, students will most likely be re-enrolled in the very best PSY dissertation research course, or granted more hours.
Enrollment within the PSY 801 constitutes part-time students status (unless of course obviously clearly concurrently enrolled in PSY 780 Doctorate Internship), that will impact educational funding eligibility and loan deferment.
10. Final Document Submission
The next needs to be completed and printed for that Dissertation Support Office to make certain the student’s degree to obtain printed. Also, all needed documents, such as the Final Internship Evaluation, needs to be within the student’s clinical training file.
The dissertation needs to be published for publishing and archiving using ProQuest ETD Administrator for Pepperdine GSEP. This really is really the best PDF kind of the dissertation which is printed, unless of course obviously clearly otherwise noted using the ETD Administrator.
ProQuest UMI/ETD Submission:
Digitally submit your removed dissertation to ProQuest ETD Administrator
- Produce a new user account to upload the very best PDF kind of the dissertation to UMI/ETD.
- Select Open Access publishing (needed) and handle the agreement.
- Personal bound dissertation copies and copies for the chair/committee people may be purchased while using UMI/ETD submission.
- All prices is compensated by charge card during initial submission.
Graduation Application: The Graduation Application must be printed for that Assistant Manager of Writing Support carrying out a Psy.D. Program Administrator has confirmed finishing predoctoral internship.
11. Degree Posting
When the Dissertation Support Office is becoming all of the necessary products for the degree posting along with the students has completed their predoctoral internship, work of Student Information and Services can frequently mean across the students’ record that degree needs are really satisfied along with the degree may be printed. Students’ levels are printed within the term by which this notification occurs, not always within the term they’ve effectively completed their Final Dental Defense. Levels will most likely be printed inside the following degree posting dates:
- Fall – Mid-October along with the last day’s the word
- Spring – the best day’s the word
- Summer time time time – the best day’s summer time time time session 1 or summer time time time session 2
Degree completion and talent to make use of the credential of “Psy.D.” occurs when degree needs are really met. “Graduation” is identified as the date the doctorate degree is printed, not the date within the graduation ceremony itself which frequently occurs only yearly around. To own fun playing the graduation ceremony, the candidates should have had their Final Dental Defense and passed without or with modifications a number of week before the ceremony and completed 1100 hrs of internship.
Are You Aware?
The Dissertation Support Office has become accepting electronic documents for APA Review, such as the dissertation submission.