MLA Format for Essays and Research Papers
Using Ms Word 2007
The Current Language Association (MLA) specifies a typical format for essays and research papers designed in an instructional setting:
- One-inch page margins.
- Double-spaced sentences.
- A header with author’s surname and page number aligned around the right margin one-1 / 2 inch from the top of the each page.
- Name of author, name of professor, title obviously, date of paper on page one from the paper.
- Citations to lent information in parentheses in your body from the paper along with a works reported page beginning on the separate page in the finish from the paper whenever the paper includes summaries, paraphrases, or quotes using their company sources.
Stick to the steps below to format your essay or research paper if you use Ms Word 2007. Note: If you’re writing an investigation paper within the MLA format which includes a title page as well as an outline page or pages prior to the body from the paper, you are able to download a template and substitute your data around the title, outline pages, and first page from the body from the paper. This template includes no page number around the title page, lower situation Roman numerals starting with page “i” around the outline pages, and Arabic numerals starting with page “1” on page one from the body from the paper. Download Research Paper Template in Word 2007
- Whenever you open MS Word 2007, you’ll be searching in the the “Home” number of instructions displayed underneath the MS Word 2007 Ribbon. Normally the “Normal” style within the MS Word 2007 program continues to be set with page margins of just one inch top, bottom, left, and right. If individuals margins happen to be altered inside your program, choose the Page Layout tab in the ribbon towards the top of Ms Word 2007 after which click “Margins” within the Page Setup group:
Then click OK, as proven below.
- MLA format needs a header within the upper right-hands corner of every page set at 1/2″ from the top page using the author’s surname along with a page number. To produce the header and hang automatic page numbering select View after which Header and Footer in the Menu Bar:
Then type your surname within the header section. Then press the spacebar once to depart just one blank space after your surname.
- Type your company name after which press the Enter key once.
- Type your professor’s name, after which Enter.
- Type the program identification, after which Enter.
- Type the date. Press the Enter key once.
- Click the Align Center icon around the formatting toolbar.
- Type the title of the paper, capitalizing the very first word and all sorts of major words and proper nouns. Do not use italics, boldfaced type, underlining, or all caps to format your title. Do not type a period of time in the finish from the title. Press the Enter key once.
- Click the Align Left icon so that you can begin typing around the first line.
- Depress the Tab answer to indent 1/2 inch to start the first paragraph and start typing your document. Make sure to press the Enter key once only if you have completed a paragraph:
Soon after typing the ultimate type of your paper, press the CTRL key and also the ENTER key simultaneously to start a brand new page. Your header together with your surname and automatic page numbering should appear at the very top left of the paper if you’re viewing your document within the “print layout” view option (from “View” in your menu bar).
- Please be aware that the MLA Type of docoumentation no more necessitates the report on the web address or URL since individuals addresses may change frequently. The APA Style, however, still requires using the URL although not underlined. In case your MS Word AutoCorrect option is incorporated in the default setting, whenever you type an online address or paste an online address to your document after which press the spacebar, the address will end up a hypertext link. This really is helpful if you’re writing a document and wish to send the file to a person being an email attachment. Then your person can open the document and browse it on the pc screen and follow the link to hook up with the web address.
Updated Feb 12, 2010