Students who choose the M.A.Sc. thesis option learn a number of valuable skills because they define an investigation problem, develop their research method and execute their research. Students emerge from this method as experts within their selected domain of understanding, confident of the analytic abilities, capable to present their research results convincingly to the audience. A TIM thesis constitutes a significant contribution towards the research literature in technology innovation management.
Students focusing on their thesis research be a part of a gate review process similar to that utilized by companies for product. The gate review process facilitates the timely and logical completing thesis research. TIM students have one of the shortest completion occasions across all departments.
Gate comments are held on the regular schedule in October, Feb, March and June. The gates used are:
- Gate : Proposal of research subject (usually within the second term of study)
- Gate 1: Proposal of research method (usually within the third term of study)
- Gate 2: Dry run of thesis defence presentation (usually within the 4th or fifth term of study)
- Gate 3: Formal thesis defence before an instructional panel (usually within the fifth or sixth term of study)
Gate is really a research proposal which includes:
- the objectives from the research
- the particular research deliverables expected
- the relevance from the research to researchers and managers
- the anticipated contribution towards the academic literature and management practice
- the theoretical foundation for the research
- the study approach to be adopted
- the outline from the data for use
- how this data is going to be examined, and
- proper references towards the academic literature for use.
Students can pass Gate by looking into making an exhibition of their proposal. A typical template can be used for those gate presentations. Students can pass a Gate with no thesis supervisor.
Gate 1 is definitely an elaboration from the information presented in Gate with a focus on the right assortment of data and it is analysis. To pass through Gate 1, students must make another presentation and make preparations a Gate 1 document. A gate 1 document is presented in appropriate thesis format. It’s essentially a thesis without data analysis and conclusions. More about the right thesis format can be obtained here .
Gate 2 is really a preparation for that actual defence from the thesis research, that is Gate 3 .
Gate review presentations are available to the general public. Students within the TIM program are anticipated to go to both gate review presentations and subsequent formal thesis defenses.
Thesis development is described at length within the TIM Thesis Development document.