The Schreyer Honors College provides students of superior academic ability an chance to enhance their educations through honors-level course work and independent study. To supply stimulating intellectual encounters outdoors the classroom, this program also sponsors regular workshops, field journeys, social occasions, along with other extracurricular activities. Atherton and Simmons Halls happen to be designated to supply a special on-campus living atmosphere for Schreyer Scholars.
Students signed up for the Schreyer Honors College are afforded several specific rights: 1) admittance to honors and graduate-level courses, 2) versatility in fulfilling certain degree needs, 3) registration priority for a lot of courses, 4) graduate/faculty borrowing rights in the College Libraries, and 5) the chance to pursue synchronised undergraduate and graduate levels.
Participants within the program must: 1) conserve a 3.33 (B+) G.P.A. each semester 2) complete a minimum of 3 honors courses each academic year (fall/spring/summer time), for at least 7 honors credits, in each one of the first couple of years, and no less than 14 honors credits during the rest of enrollment and three) complete an honors thesis or project. Students effectively finishing this program is going to be awarded an honors diploma.
Participation within the Schreyer Honors College is as simple as invitation. Entering students who aren’t accepted towards the program may subsequently petition within the 4th semester for junior-gate admission if their cumulative and major grade-point averages are 3.7 or over. All 4th-semester music majors who satisfy the GPA needs is going to be notified of the eligibility through the eighth week from the semester.
Students within this group who would like to apply should submit a petition through the tenth week from the semester towards the chair from the Undergraduate Committee, following a directions within the letter of notification. The committee, after soliciting input in the student’s academic advisor and something other faculty referee selected through the student, will forward effective petitions to among the School of Music’s honors advisors, who’ll send it in towards the Honors College.
For more details about the honors college, please contact Dr. Rutkowski (music education) or Dr. Ballora (other music degree programs). You may even go to the honors college site at world wide web.shc.psu.edu .
HONORS THESIS PROCEDURES FOR MUSIC STUDENTS
Preparation of the recognition thesis might be probably the most rewarding encounters of the undergraduate study. However, if contacted inside a hurried and unorganized fashion, it may be your least rewarding encounters. The next guidelines were prepared to help you using the effective preparation of the thesis. Failure to conform using these guidelines will delay your intended graduation date.
- Pick a thesis advisor on your fifth semester and identify a thesis subject.
- Develop a proposal and file a thesis proposal form using the Schreyer Honors College Office throughout the spring term of the junior year (seek advice from the Honors College for that exact deadline).
- Use your thesis advisor through several drafts of the thesis.
- Generate a draft of the complete thesis for your School of Music honors advisor, or second readers in case your honors advisor may be the thesis advisor, through the finish from the eighth week of the last semester in residence just before graduation.
- Provide the final draft of the complete thesis for your School of Music honors advisor and also the director from the School of Music through the finish from the thirteenth week of the last semester in residence just before graduation.
- Have the types of materials to the Honors College Office by their needed deadline.