(1-two year program for full-time students also available to part-time students)
The thesis stream is mainly meant for students who’ve: (a) clearly defined intends to pursue a Ph.D. and believe they wish to perform a significant research study to organize for your program, or (b) wish to write a thesis simply because they have compelling research interests on the particular subject.
Formal Program Needs
- Students trying to get the thesis option must submit a short statement of the research interest using their application or once the request a general change in program towards the thesis stream.
- Students selecting the M.A. with thesis must complete no less than 12 credit hrs in political science graduate program courses which 3 credit hrs should be achieved from either POSC 6000 or 6010.
- Each student selecting the thesis option will submit a thesis on the subject that’s been authorized by the supervisory committee from the Department.
A Master’s thesis must reveal that students can:
- Identify a substantial research question
- Design and do a program of research
- Present the outcomes of this research inside a obvious, coherent, and professionally acceptable manner.
Although the thesis should be significant research, it’s not likely to be path-breaking. The Department of Political Science prefers concise theses of 20,000 words (roughly 70 pages of text). The thesis author is going to be likely to stick to the Department’s Plagiarism and Documentation policies.
- Thesis stream students will be to speak to a faculty member concentrating on the same research interests look around the chance of that individual saying yes is the student’s supervisor. This might occur as soon as once the student is utilizing towards the college and should be completed prior to the finish from the first semester at Memorial.
- A student and their supervisor will select another faculty member for everyone around the student’s supervisory committee, combined with the supervisor. The supervisor must read and approve the student’s thesis proposal. The supervisor will read and approve the ultimate draft from the student’s thesis prior to it being sent for examination.
- The particular examination is completed by an internal examiner (part of this Department who is not associated with the preparation from the thesis) as well as an outdoors examiner (a professor from outdoors this Department).
- The College of Graduate Studies sets the calendar guidelines governing thesis examinations and program completions.
- Final Theses are posted towards the library and should therefore meet College formatting needs .
- Graduated pupils might want to acquire the school of Arts Digital Research Center ‘s services, which could support their qualitative research by supplying use of top quality digital tape recorders, cameras, video equipment and software to collect, preserve, process and evaluate field data.
Types of Past Political Science M.A. Thesis Titles
Through the years our Master of Arts candidates wrote theses on a variety of Political Science topics. A bound copy of each one of the following titles is permanently kept in the Center for Newfoundland Studies library on campus. A few examples appear below. Students can pick a thesis subject from all of these areas or other relevant section of Political Science.
- The condition of Canadian studies in Canada’s schools
- Political culture and community rise in the Harbour Breton area
- Political affect on the funding of municipal capital works in Newfoundland 1973 to 1988
- Legislative rise in new democracies: going the next phase
- Once again unto the breach: humanitarian interventions in unsuccessful states
- The Canada-Chile Free Trade Agreement and also the Direction of Canadian Foreign Policy within the 1990s
- The resilient condition: the situation from the liberalization of services within the Eu
- Nested Games and Publish Conflict renovation in Afghanistan
- “Peacekeeping when there’s no peace to help keepInch: a situation study of UNPROFOR in Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Provincial worldwide activity: the situation of Newfoundland
- An upswing from the extreme in France and Germany and also the problem of immigration
- The violent secession and also the velvet divorce: Croatian and Slovak secessions in perspective
- Constituency campaigning: overview of the literature along with a situation study of Ottawa Center
- Ecosystem and also the ballot: Eco-friendly Party voting in European and national elections in Belgium, France, Germany, The Uk and Luxembourg, 1979-1999
- Leadership and ideology incompatible: an research into the Progressive Conservative Party of Newfoundland and Labrador 1995-96
- Political attitudes and participation among senior high school teachers in Newfoundland
- Requiem for any nation: identity and also the nationalist question among youthful Newfoundlanders
- The dynamics of Catholic voting behavior surrounding denominational education reform in Newfoundland
Public Policy and Administration
- A situation study of public interest groups within the Newfoundland educational reform policy-making process
- Sweets and rubber boots: the Smallwood industrialization plan
- Collaboration or Consultation? The Expansion and Implementation of Social Policy in Rural Newfoundland and Labrador in the Proper Social Intend to the Rural Secretariat
- Federal attempts at relieving regional economic disparity: Newfoundland’s knowledge about D.R.E.E.
- Freedom from the ocean to fishery conservation: an evolving sea management regime
- Regional development associations in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Regional economic development by Crown Corporation: the situation of Cape Breton
- Telecommunications policy communities and policy choices for rural areas
Women in Politics
- Battles within the gender war: theories of worldwide relations and gender and also the realities of ladies in war
- Elizabeth Symes v. Regina (1993): a situation study of feminist judicial action in Canada
- Low political participation among rural women in Chiloe, Chile: effects for democratization
- Making waves: women in Newfoundland politics
For more information, please contact our Graduate Coordinator.