Rules for that 2017 St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Authors of the usa First Crime Novel Competition
The champion from the 2016 contest was announced in the 2016 Edgar Awards banquet on April 28, 2016.
Congratulations towards the 2016 champion – Joanna Schaffhausen.
Backed by Minotaur Books and Mystery Authors of the usa (MWA)
1. Your Competition is available to any author, no matter nationality, aged 18 or older, who may never have been the writer associated with a Printed Novel (in almost any genre), as based on the rules below, (with the exception that authors of self-printed works only may enter, as lengthy because the manuscript posted isn’t the self-printed work) and isn’t under hire a writer for publication of the novel. Employees, and people of the immediate families residing in exactly the same household, of Minotaur Books or Mystery Authors of the usa (or perhaps a parent, subsidiary, or affiliate of either of these) aren’t qualified to go in. Just one manuscript entry (the “Manuscript”) is allowed per author. Void where prohibited or restricted legally.
Please read all the laws and regulations before submitting your entry.
For those who have questions or need further clarification after studying the next laws and regulations, you might call us at MB-MWAFirstCrimeNovelCompetition@StMartins.com
2. To go in, you have to complete a web-based entry form and upload a digital file of the Manuscript. The entry form will help you to upload one electronic file. Only electronic submissions, submitted with the online entry form, is going to be considereddon’t mail or e-mail manuscript submissions to Minotaur Books.
That need considering for that 2017 competition, all submissions should be received by 11:59pm EST on December 12 . 2016 .
a) Manuscripts should be posted as Ms Word documents or PDFs. All manuscripts should be double-spaced, with pages numbered consecutively from starting to finish. All manuscripts should be saved as “Manuscript Title_Entrant Name.”
b) Each entrant should make a copy from the Manuscript for own protection.
c) Due to the great amount of submissions we receive cheap idol judges are volunteers with full-time responsibilities elsewhere, it is crucial that you submit your Manuscript as soon as possible. Submissions will receive a more careful studying when the judge doesn’t have to deal with a ton of last-minute records.
3. Entrants should have a legitimate e-mail address. In situation of dispute regarding identity of the entrant, entry is going to be declared produced by the approved account holder from the e-mail address presented to Minotaur Books. “Authorized Account Holder” is understood to be an all natural individual who is assigned an e-mail address by an online access provider, online company, or any other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) accountable for assigning e-mail addresses or even the domain connected using the posted e-mail address. Minotaur Books and Mystery Authors of the usa aren’t accountable for technical, hardware, software, telephone or any other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any sort, lost or unavailable network connections, website, Internet, or ISP unavailability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic jam, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (no matter cause) or unsuccessful, incomplete, or delayed computer transmissions which might limit one’s capability to enter this Competition, including any injuries or harm to any computer associated with or caused by installing any materials within this Competition.
4. All Manuscripts posted: a) should be original works of book length (no under 220 typewritten pages or roughly 60,000 words) designed in the British language b) should be written exclusively through the entrant, who might not be the writer associated with a formerly Printed Novel c) mustn’t violate any right associated with a 3rd party or perhaps be libelous, and d) must generally stick to the Guidelines below.
a. Murder or any other serious crime or crimes is in the centre from the story.
b. WHAT Is Really A Printed NOVEL: With regards to this Competition, a “Published Novel” means a piece of fiction with a minimum of 40,000 words long that’s been printed or distributed, partly or whole, in paper or e-mail or perhaps in every other medium, excluding, however, self-printed works. This doesn’t incorporate a chapter excerpt with an author’s website, susceptible to the circumstances that: (i) the excerpt may be the only text that are available for public viewing (ii) the excerpt isn’t for purchase towards the public, and (iii) the amount of words within the excerpt doesn’t exceed 10% from the final amount of words within the work in general.
(The choice from the Competition’s idol judges whether or otherwise an entrant or perhaps a Manuscript qualifies is going to be final.)
5. Nominees is going to be selected by idol judges selected by MWA, with the help of the editorial staff of Minotaur Books, and also the champion is going to be selected by Minotaur Books editors based on the originality, creativeness and writing skill from the submission. The choice from the editors regarding the champion from the Competition is going to be final. Minotaur Books reserves the authority to cancel or customize the competition if, within the sole opinion from the editors, an inadequate quantity of qualified Manuscripts are received.
6. An effort is going to be designed to inform your competition champion, or no, on the phone or U.S. mail no after March 31, 2017. When the champion can’t be contacted, another champion might be selected.
7. If your champion is chosen, Minotaur Books will offer you to initiate its standard form author’s agreement using the entrant for publication from the winning Manuscript. After execution from the standard form author’s agreement by both sides, the champion will get funding against future royalties of $10,000. Around the condition the selected champion accepts and executes the publishing contract suggested by Minotaur Books, the champion will be recognized in the Edgar Awards Banquet in New You are able to City in April 2017 . THE Champion Won’t Get Any OTHER PRIZE And Won’t Get Any Area Of The ADVANCE Before The STANDARD FORM AUTHOR’S AGREEMENT Continues To Be Performed BY Both Sides. Individuals the offer not specified by the printed text from the Minotaur Books standard form author’s agreement is decided by Minotaur Books at its sole discretion. The entrant may request reasonable alterations in the offered terms, but Minotaur Books shall ‘t be obligated to accept such changes. Minotaur Books may, but won’t be needed to, consider for publication Manuscripts posted by other entrants.
8. No critical evaluation or commentary is going to be provided by the idol judges or even the editorial staff of Minotaur Books unless of course, within the sole opinion from the editorial staff, evaluation or commentary is suitable within the situation of the Manuscript being considered for publication.
9. General: No cash substitution, transfers or assignments of prize permitted. All expenses, including taxes, concerning the champion’s publishing contract, would be the sole responsibility from the champion. By accepting a prize, the champion releases Minotaur Books and Mystery Authors of the usa, and also the parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers and agents of all of them from all liability for just about any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense, including without limitation property damages, personal injuries and/or dying, arising from participation within this Competition or even the acceptance from the publishing contract. If, unconditionally, (including unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or other cause past the charge of Minotaur Books which corrupts or affects the administration, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Competition), your competition is incompetent at being conducted as described during these rules, Minotaur Books and Mystery Authors of the usa shall possess the right, within their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend your competition.
MWA Quick Links