Pam L. Gustafson has worked in Higher Education for over 10 years. She holds a BA in English, an MA in History, has 30 graduate credits in Secondary Education and Counseling, and has 45 doctoral credits of Higher Education Administration. She has been a research and teaching assistant for ten years, as well as a social media manager. She is the recipient of numerous academic and writing awards.
Pam is the assistant director of the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program at LIU Post. She is a member of the Education Committee of the National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals (NAGAP) and the chair of the Resources Committee. She is also a member of the Writing Sub-Committee. She periodically contributes to NAGAP’s in-house publication, Perspectives. She has contributed numerous book reviews to peer-reviewed journals in the field of higher education. In addition, she is second author on a guide to thesis and dissertation writing in applied fields that is under contract with Oxford University Press. Her research has focused on admissions in higher education, specifically “fit” and the relationship between admission processes and graduate outcomes.
She is a mother of two and resides in Nassau County, NY.
- Ed.D. Candidate, Higher Education Administration Concentration, Northeastern University, Expected 2016
- MS Program in Secondary Education, LIU, 2008-2011
- MA, History, LIU Post, 2008
- BA, English, LIU Post, 2005
RELEVANT GRADUATE-LEVEL EDUCATION COURSES
- Psychology of the Adolescent Student
- Social Foundations of Education
- Literacy, Teaching and Learning: Grades 5-12
- Literacy in the Content Area; Grades 5-12
- Literacy Teaching and Learning, B-6
- Education for Cultural Diversity
- Introduction to Educational Research: The Teacher as Researcher
- Curriculum Teaching in Middle High Schools
- Curriculum Assessment for Classroom Teachers
- Teaching Social Studies Grades 7-12
- Learning and Humand Development: Research and Practice
- Introduction to Professional Counseling
- Behavior Dynamics Over the Lifespan
- Leadership Theory and Research
- Fundamentals of Research
- Research Design
- Proposal Development – Quantitative
- Strategic Management in Higher Education
- Transforming Human Systems
- Financial Decision Making in Higher Education
- The Legal Environmet of Higher Education
- Organizational Systems and Institutional Governance
- Global and Historical Perspectives in Higher Education
- Postsecondary and Institutional Public Policy
CERTIFICATIONS EDUCATION WORKSHOPS
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL Certification), Oxford Seminars, 2007
- Child Abuse Identification Reporting, 2009
- Substance Abuse Identification, 2009
- Adolescent Health-Risk Workshop, 2009
- Project S.A.V.E. NYSDOE, 2008
- Vidair, H.B. Gustafson, P.L. Feindler, E.L. (under contract) The Thesis and Dissertation Guide for Doctoral Students in Applied Psychology Related Fields. Oxford University Press.
- Gustafson, P.L. (forthcoming, 2016). The Graduate Application: What Signals Are We Sending? Perspectives Journal, NAGAP. Spring 2016.
- Gustafson, P.L. (submitted for review). Review of “Minds on Fire: How Role-Immersion Games Transform College” by Mark C. Carnes. Review of Higher Education, John Hopkins University Press.
- Gustafson, P.L. (submitted for review). Review of “Fundraising and Institutional Advancement: Theory, Practice, and New Paradigms” by Noah D. Drezner and Frances Huehls. Australian Universities’ Review.
- Gustafson, P.L. (2015). Review of “Reconstructing Policy in Higher Education: Feminist Poststructural Perspectves” by Elizabeth J. Allan, Susan Van Deventer Iverson, and Rebecca Ropers-Hulman (eds). Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 19(4), 209-212.
- Gustafson, P.L. (2015). Review of “Why Higher Education Should Have a Leftist Bias” by Donald Lazere. Review of Higher Education, John Hopkins University Press, 38(4), 16-17 .
- Gustafson, P.L. Avivi, A. (2014). Navigating Graduate Program Choices in Mental Health Fields for GEM Professionals and Their Prospective Students. Perspectives Journal, NAGAP, 26(4), 13-17.
- Gustafson, P.L. (2014). Review of “At the Intersection of Education, Marketing, and Transformation” by Sabra Brock. Review of Higher Education, Johns Hopkins University Press, 38(1), 180-182.
- Gustafson, P.L. (2014). Knowing what you are accepting them into: Developing meaningful communications between graduate admissions staff and graduate program faculty. Perspectives Journal, NAGAP, 26(2), 17-19.
- Gustafson, P.L. (2005). “Self” in Travel Narratives. Unpublished Honors Thesis, Long Island University.
- Gustafson, P.L. (April 2015) What Signals Are We Sending? The Relationship Between Application Components and Retention. Presentation at National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Gustafson, P.L. Intravia, E.E. (April 2015) Professional Writing in Graduate Enrollment Management. Presentation at National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Gustafson, P.L. (August 2014) E-Portfolio Development. Presentation to Incoming Student Cohort, PsyD Program, LIU Post
- Gustafson, P.L. (July 2014). E-Portfolio Implementation and Competency-Based Student Evaluation. Presentation to Outcomes Assessment Committee, LIU Post Campus.
- Gustafson, P.L. (October 2013, 2014) Application Preparation for Doctoral-Level Externships. Presentation to 2nd 3rd Year Cohorts, PsyD Program, LIU Post.
- Graduate Student Enrollment Management Research Grant, NAGAP 2014 – 2015
- Academic Achievement Award, Northeastern University 2013 2014
- Honors Program Essay Competition Scholarship Award, LIU 2003 – 2005
- Dean’s List, Long Island University 2003 – 2005
- Athletic Scholarship, Women’s Volleyball, Division II 2003 – 2004
- Summer School of the Arts, NYSSSA, Visual Arts 1997