If you want to know how to improve your IELTS score, you must improve your English first! Take a look at your Test Report Form and see which skills you need to work on.
Taking the test again and again will not improve your results unless you work on the weaknesses identified in your test report form. You need to
- review your preparation activities
- consider how you performed on the test day
- consider taking a course to improve your English in an area of weakness
- once you are ready, book a new test
How did you prepare last time?
Think about how you prepared for your test. Did you do enough?
To improve your score next time, make sure you
- understand your IELTS score
- understand the test format
- try our free online sample tests
- read our tips on how to succeed
- practise your English at home, at work, or at university
- listen to English on radio and television
- read English newspapers and websites
- practise using British Council online IELTS resources
- use IELTS preparation materials
- subscribe to the Road to IELTS online preparation course
IELTS is a test of English language proficiency, so you need to work on all skill areas to maintain and improve your English.
How did you perform on test day?
Think about what happened on test day:
- how did you perform on your IELTS test day?
- did you know where the test location was?
- did you arrive in time?
- were you as calm and relaxed as possible?
- was the format of the test familiar?
- did you know what to expect?
Consider taking a course
You might want to consider taking an IELTS preparation course. This will help you:
- practise the type of tasks included in an IELTS test (e.g. writing a short essay or letter for the Writing test)
- get feedback and learn from your answers to practice questions
- become more confident in your test-taking skills
Your teacher may be able to advise you about your skill level and whether you are ready to re-take your test.
It takes time to learn a language, and the best way is to take an English course. The feedback you receive from your teacher will help you improve the specific skills involved in speaking, listening, reading and writing English.
Re-take the IELTS test
Book another test when you feel ready. You can take IELTS as many times as you like.
Have a look at Test day advice before you re-take your test.
We hope this information will help you further understand how to improve your IELTS score.