The Masters ever gives you a superb chance to learn in the organization of Glasgow’s thirty-strong cohort of historians, and also the chance to get pregnant, design and perform research studyOrdissertation. The programme combines learning historic theory, skills and techniques with an array of specialist trained options that go over all periods from medieval to late modern, with regards to Scotland, Britain, Europe, America and elsewhere.
- Our links using the University’s museum and gallery, The Hunterian, provide use of primary source material including a massive assortment of physiological and pathological examples, coins, books, manuscripts and ethnography.
- Additionally, you will enjoy accessibility Baillie Collection, our prized assortment of printed medieval and modern sources in Scottish, Irish and British history, including printed condition papers, Historic Manuscript Commission publications along with a select assortment of modern monographs.
- If you’re searching for that chance to pursue your personal historic interests inside a lively and friendly atmosphere, brought and based on worldwide-considered historians, this programme is fantastic for you.
Our path structure enables you to definitely tailor your degree to complement a pursuit within the following fields
- Medieval history
- Modern and late modern history
- Scottish history
- Social and cultural history
- Gender history
- Military history.
Each programme is made around a hands-on research training program, specialised courses on historic and theoretical styles, along with other courses working on your technical skills along with other abilities like languages and palaeography.
For the selected programme, you will see a led choice of courses that provides you with specialised understanding for the reason that field. You’ll be trained through a number of workshops and workshops. Worldwide recognised historians give guest lectures all year round.
These classes are trained ever, social and economic history (within the College of Social Sciences), by related subject matter within the School of Humanities (the archaeology of gortyn, Celtic, classics) and also the College of Arts (for example British language and French).
Within the final area of the programme, you’ll pick a specialised subject and conduct original primary source research for the dissertation. You’re supported inside your research and writing up by a designated supervisor with knowledge of your field of enquiry.
- Research sources and skills for historians
The main course for that MLitt/MSc ever may be the Research Sources and Skills for Historians (RRSH) course, trained through a number of workshops and workshops. This program addresses recent developments in historic thinking, IT, identification of source material, research-project design and bibliographic and presentation skills.
The main course makes up about 20 from the 180 credits needed with this degree.
Optional courses (NB this isn’t a complete list)
- American Method of War
- Methods to History
- Belief and Conversion in Europe c. 300 c.1000
- Century from the refugee: refugees and statelessness in comparative perspective
- Chivalry and Warfare
- Crusading Warfare within the Eastern Mediterranean
- Culture, Politics and Society in Highland Clearances
- Gender and Text
- Gender, Politics and Power
- Insurgency and Counter-Insurgency
- Issues, Ideologies Institutions in Modern Scotland
- Medieval Palaeography 1
- Medieval Deep Structures of Russia and Eastern Europe
- Scottish Castles and Castles in European Context, c.1100-1600
- Scottish Radicalism
- Scottish Reformation
- Secularisation and Society: the decline of faith in the western world since 1800
- Specialist course in Medieval Scottish Studies 1
- Specialist course in Medieval Scottish Studies 2
- Special Subject History 1
- Special Subject ever 2
- The Normans
- The Ottomans ever, 13001922
- Thomas Paine being an Enlightenment Revolutionary
- Western Intelligence at a time of Terror
- Ladies and Power in Renaissance Italia
for entry in 2017
Entry needs for postgraduate trained programmes really are a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification (for instance, GPA 3. or over) inside a relevant subject unless of course otherwise specified.
Note. a brief (one paragraph) statement of great interest can also be needed.
For applicants whose first language isn’t British, the College sets the absolute minimum British Language proficiency level.
Worldwide British Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training):
- overall score 6.5
- no sub-test under 6.5
- or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent British language qualifications
All mentioned British exams are appropriate for admission for home/EU and worldwide students with this programme:
- ibTOEFL:92 no sub-test under:
- Studying: 23
- Speaking: 23
- Writing: 24
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced British): 176 overall no sub-test under 176
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in British): 176 overall no sub-test under 176
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of British, Academic test): 64 overall no sub-test under 62
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in British. ISEII at Distinction with Distinction in most sub-tests
For worldwide students, the house Office has confirmed the College can opt for these tests to create its very own assessment of British language ability for visa applications to degree level programmes. The College can also be in a position to accept an IELTS test (Academic module) from the 1000 IELTS test centres from around the globe and we don’t need a specific UKVI IELTS test for degree level programmes. We therefore still accept the British tests listed for admittance to this programme.
The College of Glasgow accepts proof of the needed language level in the British for Academic Study Unit Pre-sessional courses. We consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses:
Exactly what do I actually do if.
my language qualifications are underneath the needs?
The University’s British for Academic Study Unit offers a variety of Pre-Sessional Courses to create you as much as basic level. The program is accredited by BALEAP, the United kingdom professional association for academic British teaching see Links.
my language qualifications aren’t right here?
Please contact the Recruitment and Worldwide Office: firstname.lastname@example.org kingdom
For more details about British language needs, please contact the Recruitment and Worldwide Office: email@example.com kingdom
Charges are susceptible to change as well as for guidance only
- Fee for submission with a research student: 460
- Fee for re-assessment of the dissertation (PGT programme): 300
- Submission for any greater degree by printed work: 1,000
- Submission of thesis after deadline lapsed: 200
- Submission by staff in receipt of staff scholarship: 680
- Research students registered as non-supervised Thesis Pending students (50% refund is going to be granted when the student completes thesis inside the first six several weeks from the period): 260
- Registration/exam only fee: 110
- General Council fee: 50
A TenPercent discount can be obtained to College of Glasgow alumni signing up to the MLitt/MSc/PgDip. Including graduates and individuals who’ve completed a Junior Year Abroad, Exchange programme or Worldwide Summer time School in the College of Glasgow. The discount is used at registration for college students who aren’t in receipt of some other discount or scholarship funded through the College. No additional application is needed.
Aside from ongoing to review a PhD, you are able to transfer the humanities research skills and techniques you start learning on this programme to positions in the current private and public sectors, for example heritage, policy and projects, journalism and teaching.
Positions held by the recent past graduates include Editor Business History Products, Lead Scholar/Instructor and Secretary.
We ask the application of online for any postgraduate trained degree. Our bodies enables you to definitely complete the conventional form on the internet and submit this towards the College within 42 times of beginning the application.
You have to browse the help guide to applying online before beginning the application. It’ll ensure you are prepared to proceed, in addition to answer many common questions regarding the procedure.
Must i apply online for any postgraduate trained degree?
Yes. To try to get a postgraduate trained degree you have to apply online. We’re not able to simply accept the application by other means than online.
Should i complete and submit the applying in one session?
No. You’ve 42 days to submit the application once you start the procedure. You might save and go back to the application as numerous occasions as you want to update information, complete sections or upload additional documents just like your final transcript or perhaps your language test.
What documents should i provide to apply?
In addition to finishing your web application fully, it is necessary that you submit the next documents:
- A duplicate (or copies) of the official degree certificate(s) (for those who have already completed your degree)
- A duplicate (or copies) of the official academic transcript(s), showing detailed information of subjects studied and grades/marks acquired
- Official British translations from the certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- Two supporting reference letters on headed paper
- Proof of your British Language ability (in case your first language isn’t British)
- Any extra documents needed with this programme (see Entry needs with this programme)
- A duplicate from the photo page of the passport (Non-EU students only)
- A 2-page personal statement highlighting:
- The way your academic career to-date makes this programme a appropriate next thing
- Why you need to study this programme
- The way you think this programme can help you inside your future career development
If you don’t have many of these documents during the time of submitting the application then it’s still easy to apply and supply any more documents later on, as lengthy while you incorporate a full current transcript (as well as an British translation if needed) together with your application. Begin to see the ‘Your References, Transcripts and British Qualification’ parts of our Faq’s to learn more.
Do my supporting documents have to be posted online?
Yes, where possible, please upload the supporting documents together with your application.
How do you provide my references?
You have to either upload the needed references for your online application or ask your referees to transmit the references towards the College as we don’t contact referees directly. There’s two primary ways that you could provide references: you may either upload references on headed paper when you’re making a credit card applicatoin while using Online Application (or through Applicant Self-Service once you have posted the application) or ask your referee to email the reference straight to firstname.lastname@example.org kingdom. Begin to see the ‘Your References, Transcripts and British Qualifications’ portion of the Faq’s to learn more.
What should i be not able to submit our supporting documents online?
If you fail to upload a digital copy of the document and want to transmit it in by publish, please fasten a cover sheet into it which includes your company name, the programme you’re trying to get, as well as your application reference number.
You might send these to:
Recruitment Worldwide Office
71 Southpark Avenue
Fax: +44 141 330 4045
Can One email my supporting documents?
No. We can’t accept email submissions of the supporting documents.
What entry needs must i have met before you apply? How can i locate them?
You can examine you have met (or will probably have met before the start of programme) the person entry needs for that degree programme you’re trying to get. These details are available around the ‘entry needs’ tab on every individual programme page, like the one you’re viewing now.
What British Language needs must i have met before you apply? How can i locate them?
If you are a worldwide student, it’s also wise to check you have met the British Language needs specific towards the programme you’re trying to get. These can be found around the ‘entry needs’ tab for every specific programme.
Please visit the Faq’s for additional info on signing up to a postgraduate trained programme.
Guidance notes for implementing the internet application
These notes usually are meant to assist you to complete the internet form precisely, they’re also available inside the help portion of the online form. Should you experience any difficulties being able to access the internet application then you need to go to the Application Troubleshooting/FAQs page.
- Name and Birth date: must appear just as they are doing in your passport. Please make time to look into the spelling and lay-out.
- Contact Information. Correspondence address. All contact highly relevant to the application will be delivered to this address such as the offer letter(s). In case your address changes, please call us as quickly as possible.
- Selection of course. Please select carefully the program you need to study. As the application will be delivered to the admissions committee for every course you decide on you should consider at this time why you are looking at the program which is reflected inside your application.
- Suggested date of entry: Please condition your chosen start date such as the month and also the year. Trained masters levels have a tendency to come from September. Research levels may begin in almost any month.
- Education and Qualifications. Please complete this as fully as you possibly can indicating any relevant Greater Education qualifications beginning most abundant in recent. Complete the specific Institution (s) because it seems around the degree certificate or transcript.
- British Language Proficiency. Please condition the date associated with a British language test taken (in order to be used) and also the award date (or expected award date if known).
- Employment and Experience. Please complete this as fully as you possibly can with all of employments highly relevant to your course. Additional details might be attached inside your personal statement/proposal where appropriate.
- References. Please supply the names and phone information on two academic references. Where relevant one of these simple references might be out of your current employer. References ought to be completed on letter headed paper and submitted to your application.
Standard application deadlines
- Worldwide applications (non-EU): 21 This summer 2017
- United kingdom and EU applications: 25 August 2017
Classes start September 2017 and you’ll be anticipated to go to induction sessions a few days before.