Current bicycles and recumbent tricycles are excellent types of human powered transportation for several regions. However, for individuals surviving in hilly or mountainous terrain, conventional human powered vehicles (HPV’s) aren’t correctly made to traverse up minimizing the frequently severe grades of these regions. Unless of course obviously clearly the rider reaches very good condition, climbing hillsides will slow the vehicle to three-4 Miles per hour and wish a substantial amount of hard physical work. In addition, some vehicles aren’t correctly designed to cope with descents, that may achieve around 35 Miles per hour.
Several companies market motor assist kits to include electrical power to existing bikes. Most kits include motors rated below 1 hp and have limited battery capacity which seriously limits the quantity between charges. While these kits are perfect for level terrain they do not have the ability or capacity needed to climb steep hillsides in the reasonable speed. Another option, provided by a few manufacturers, are power aided recumbent tricycles. RunAbout Cycles (internet.runaboutcycles.com ) markets an electrically aided recumbent trike having a 40 mile range.
The recumbent design enables for almost any comfortable riding position and eliminates any balancing issues for individuals who may be unable to ride an average bike.
The purpose of this project should be to design, build, and test a simple-weight human electric hybrid recumbent trike which will raise the abilities provided by current vehicles. Analytical modeling, FEA, and CFD will know about optimize the vehicle to satisfy the next preliminary needs:
Maximum Assist Speed – 30 Miles per hour on % grade, 20MPH up 10% grade
Range – 50 miles on % grade, 20 miles up 10% grade
Weight – under 150#
Prototype Cost – under $3000
Suspension – three wheel independent with damping
The preliminary needs will most likely be finalized after doing general market trends, after evaluating analytical performance models. Prior to the design jobs are began, a Design Specs document outlining the needs within the design will most likely be written. In addition for that functional specifications, the vehicle will most likely be produced using focus on manufacturability and industrial design.
The next steps will know about accomplish the goals in the project:
- Research existing human powered and power aided vehicles – An extensive look for existing powered and united nations-powered HPV’s will most likely be conducted to judge how other cars rival the suggested specifications in the project. Vehicles will seen by cost, range, weight, and skill to determine what’s the current symptom in the skill.
- Create Stand out performance model –
Build an analytical model to calculate performance within the vehicle. Model includes calculations for moving resistance, aerodynamic drag, and motor and transmission losses. Model enables range and top speed predictions using different components to help with selection of the greatest motor and batteries to satisfy the specifications.
- Develop design specifications – Produce a Design Specifications document outlining the vehicle’s design needs. Document will define performance, weight, and price needs for the project. This document may also describe the analyses and tests needed to satisfy the specifications.
- Design making solid type of power aided vehicle – A Sun EZ Tadpole donor tricycle (see attachments) will most likely be helpful for almost all the vehicle’s components such the as seat, wheels, controls, and drive train components. Solid types of the sun’s sun sun rays trike’s existing components will most likely be built-in SolidWorks, along with a new frame, suspension, and power train using will most likely be designed.
- Perform weight study – Calculate weights for people components when using the solid model and discover the mass distribution of car using riders of several weights. Weight must be distributed relating to the three wheels and inside the weight target.
- Evaluate vehicle components and structure using FEA – Evaluate and optimize key structural components using CosmosWorks finite element software to uncover part stresses. Design and evaluate suspension movement using CosmosMotion motion analysis package. Build CFD type of trike and rider using Cosmos FloWorks software to uncover drag and investigate drag reduction options.
- Produce sketches for fabricated components – Produce detailed sketches for people fabricated components. Create setup drawing and parts list for people needed components.
- Fabricate and procure components – Submit sketches for quotes, select vendors, and order all necessary components. Track all outsourced make an effort to ensure schedule is maintained.
- Assemble prototype vehicle – Assemble all components and bench test sub-assemblies. Test motor – controller module before installing on vehicle, road test vehicle and adjust if needed.
- Test vehicle – Instrument and test vehicle per tests per design needs document. Make changes as needed and retest as needed, evaluate, and document results.
This project will seen by testing the very best product within the goals established within the design specifications developed initially within the project. A effective vehicle will most likely be the one which meets the performance and price needs that is a considerable improvement over vehicles presently available available on the market.
When carried out the work, research will most likely be written summarizing all activities and accomplishments within the project. An dental presentation within the project will probably be provided prior to the School of Engineering as well as any questions or concerns will most likely be addressed.