Your doctorate dissertation must stay with certain formatting guidelines. Ensure to determine the set of needs completely just before beginning, and check their list carefully when you submit.
Dissertation front matter must be within the following order. The important thing matter means title page while using finish available of contents/supplemental materials.Needed sections are suggested for bold while optional sections are italicized.
- Title Page (needed)
- Acceptance Page (needed)
- Page (optional)
- Dedication (optional)
- Acknowledgements (optional)
- Preface (optional)
- Abstract (needed)
- Table of Contents (needed)
- Supplemental Materials (lists of tables, figures, appendices, etc) (optional)
Additionally, plenty of students are needed to include their resume/resume inside the finish in the dissertation.
To educate yourself regarding each section, take a look at below.
The title page must be another page with no more than one page. All content within the following sentences must be centered horizontally and vertically. Bear in mind the title must manage to use the spine in the bound manuscript.
Acceptance Page – Needed
This site confirms the committee’s approval and acceptance in the dissertation.
The acceptance page must be another page with no more than one page. The page needs to be signed by everyone in the committee. No proxy, electronic, or copies of signatures are allowed.
Page – Optional
If you choose to your dissertation, you need to give a page. The page must be another page with no more than one page. All content within the following sentences must be centered horizontally and vertically.
Dedication, Acknowledgements, or Preface – Optional
Based on your very own inclination, you should give a dedication, a preface, or some acknowledgments. The second are produced to acknowledge people or agencies that you are feeling grateful for virtually any academic, technical, financial, or personal aided inside the preparation in the thesis. Must be courtesy, you’d ordinarily mention individuals in the committee here, furthermore to institutions that provided funding or people who helped. For the dedication page, a ll content  should be centered horizontally and vertically. Just the dedication itself must be across the dedication page no title should appear. Acknowledgements and Prefaces pages must have a title.
Abstract – Needed
As much folks is going to be trained with regards to your deal with your abstract printed within the ProQuest Dissertations Theses Database, you need to go ahead and take effort within the composition of both abstract along with the title in the work. Try and convey the flavors in the work, not only the simplistic in the findings. Its also wise to make an effort to phrase your title therefore it truly describes the contents and you will be easily found in the index within the database. The index draws on keywords and key phrases, so be as specific as you can really cover your subject. Visit the database »
Have your whole committee sign the page inside the defense and submit the signed abstract for that College Graduate School.   The page needs to be signed by everyone in the committee.
No proxy, electronic, or copies of signatures are allowed.
Table of Contents – Needed
Give a table of contents to help readership in the dissertation.
Add an entry for your resume (CV) for that table of contents. The CV medicine last item in your dissertation and listed last available of contents.  Since CV pages shouldn’t possess a page number, the table of contents entry with this particular should note only the existence of the CV inside the finish without any page number indicated.
Add an entry/records (because they are appropriate) for the reference/bibliography page/pages for that table of contents.
Supplemental Materials – Optional
Include lists of tables, figures, appendixes, abbreviations, or any other supplemental materials, if appropriate.
Resume/Resume – Needed
Give a resume/resume inside the finish within the dissertation, carrying out a primary content. Don’t add any page number(s) for that resume/resume.
Your CV must be within the same font and share the same margins as all of your dissertation and should not contain your house address, telephone number, nor any page number. Please list your PhD degree as transported the identical month as round the title page.
If submitting using the unbound paper method, the document needs to be printed in writing that suits the next needs. Find out about submission methods »
- Watermarked, 100 % cotton, 20- or 24-pound bond paper, 8½″ x 11″ sheets.
- IU Bond, which bears the IU watermark or seal, isn’t 100 % cotton instead of acceptable.
- The unbound version along with the to begin the bound copies needs to be in writing in the quality.
- The 2nd bound copy in the dissertation visits your department and could not require to do cotton paper. Take a look at departmental needs.
Font size must be either 11 or 12 point for the whole document while using the only exception may be the title across the title page, footnotes, tables/charts, and movieOrdesk descriptions. Font around size 16 point can be utilized for the document’s title across the title page, only. Font no more than 10 point can be utilized for footnotes, the information of tables/charts, and movieOrdeskOrgraph descriptions.
Black font can be utilized using the dissertation while using the only exception being locations where another font color serves an objective in explaining or highlighting some part of the research/dissertation in manners black font couldn’t.
Stay consistent in font style in your dissertation. The next font styles are suggested for the ease they be considered a PDF. All dissertations need to be altered right into a PDF within the electronic submission process.
The fabric must be double-spaced. Extended quotes inside the text must be typed single-spaced with wider margins.
If photographs or detailed graphics are individuals from the task, ensure they’re crisp and apparent when printed. It’s Okay to utilize special laser or photo paper for the page within the dissertation that contains images to own highest quality.
- Margins must be no under 1½″ across the left and 1″ on top, right and bottom. One-inch margins around the sides is suitable for electronic submissions. Find out about submission methods »
- Make certain any time photocopied or printed, your documents get that much actual white-colored-colored-colored space—it is essential for correct binding. Binderies sew within the left-hands margin then trim another sides. Insufficient margins can lead to a part of your material being lost following a mix of copying and binding. Even when all of the material remains, inadequate margins may affect the readability and appearance in the work.
- These margin needs affect all materials incorporated within the dissertation, including figures, tables, maps, plates, etc. as well as any preliminary material you decide to include.
Ordinarily, the writing as well as any many other materials can to check out the right-hands page only. If, however, both you and your committee agree that you need to include facing material across the left-hands page too, ensure to go away 1½″ across the right-hands side within the facing page.
Running heads aren’t present in dissertation submissions. Please limit the information in the header and footer space for that page number, only.
- Page figures needs to be apparent, consecutive, and printed on every page, including appendixes, tables, figures, maps, charts photographs, etc. aside from the title page and vita page.
- Lowercase Roman figures (e.g. i, ii, iii) can be used all pages preceding the primary body at the office.
- Arabic numerals (e.g. 1, 2, 3) are utilized inside you within the work, the bibliography along with the appendices.
- The title page counts as page i but doesn’t bear several.
- Begin the particular numbering while using the acceptance page as page ii, and continue lowercase Roman numerals until the beginning of the particular body within the dissertation. That page, whether a part of your full introduction or in the first chapter, must be numbered when using the Arabic numeral 1, and each page you then should numbered consecutively prior to deciding to achieve the vita page.
- Ordinarily, page figures must be centered at the pinnacle or bottom within the page, grew to become part of halfway relating to the side of paper along with the text to avoid their loss with the binding process.
Dissertations must be coded in British, unless of course obviously clearly both you and your department/committee have made the decision otherwise.
Speak to your department concerning this requirement. This format depends largely within your particular field or subject.
For instance, footnotes could be proven either across the page in which the annotation occurs, the final outcome of each chapter, or possibly the conclusion within the thesis. Make sure that you stick to the conventions in the department or discipline.
If submitting using the unbound paper method, the document needs to be bound using the following needs.
- Before there’s a copies bound, speak to your department if the could rather bind the abstract wonderful individuals other text.
- The College Graduate School accepts only binding which uses the oversewn method. Velo binding supplied by some photocopying companies isn’t acceptable.
- Ask the bindery to place the dissertation or thesis title together with your name across the front covers along with the title together with your surname across the spines within the bound copies. Bear in mind this title must fit within the spine within the bound dissertation.
- If you’re not around, call among the binderies we’ve listed, and acquire what the normal specs work with an IU dissertation, then relay that information having a bindery in your neighborhood. Understand the list »
You might request the bindery to provide the finished book to the college Graduate School:
Indiana College Graduate School
Attn: Shelly Gerber-Sparks (Doctorate)
Wells Library, E546
1320 E tenth St. E546
Bloomington, IN 47405-7104
- “The Chicago Manual of favor”
- Turabian, Kate L. “A Manual for Authors”
- Modern Language Association (MLA) style sheet
- American Mental Association (APA) style sheet (designed for works within the social sciences)
- Webster’s Third Worldwide Dictionary
- Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary
If submitting using the unbound paper method, the document needs to be typed and printed.
The GradGrants Center
Prepared to start recommendations on and awards? The IU GradGrants Center (GGC) might help. It provides numerous workshops plus one-on-one help all grad students—and it’s free!
Timeline for Graduation
Almost transported by helping cover their your degree? That particular-stop listing can help you monitor everything you should do in order to graduate.