[Implementation: for people with immediate effect]
- ORE (Open Research Exeter) may be the name given to the University’s institutional repository. A digital kind of the thesis/dissertation replaces the very best hard-bound copy.
- For school kids who first registered before October 2008 which don’t need to submit digitally you have to contact the Postgraduate Administration Office before submission.
This statement sets the prescribed form for the submission of theses and dissertations for research levels within the College. Within the situation of named programmes where submission requires a form apart from, or includes work additional to, that described below, the presentation of submissions will probably be vulnerable to guidance created through the right College, approved with the Dean within the Faculty, across the appropriate form before advertisement within the programme. that is provided within the College PGR self-help guide to applicants registered across the relevant programmes.
- Time period of Theses/Dissertations
- In compliance while using the Rules and Programmes of Study:
a) a thesis for the grade of PhD shall not normally exceed 100,000 words.
b) a thesis for the grade of EngD shall not normally exceed 100,000 words.
c) a thesis for the grade of PhD by Publication shall not normally exceed 100,000 words, and shall give a 10,000 word integrative chapter.
d) a dissertation for the levels of MPhil shall not normally exceed 60,000 words.
e) a dissertation for the levels of MPhil by Publication shall not normally exceed 60,000 words, and shall give a 6,000 word integrative chapter.
f) a dissertation for the grade of EdD shall not normally exceed 50,000 words.
g) a thesis for the grade of DClin Res shall not normally exceed 50,000 words.
h) a thesis for the grade of DClin Prac shall not normally exceed 50,000 words.
i) a dissertation for the grade of DEd Psy shall not normally exceed 40,000 words.
j) a dissertation for the grade of DClinPsy shall not normally exceed 12,000 words.
k) a thesis for the levels of MD or MS shall not normally exceed 60,000 words.
l) a dissertation for the grade of MbyRes shall not normally exceed 40,000 words.
m) a dissertation for the grade of MbyRes by Publication shall not normally exceed 40,000 words, and shall give a 4,000 word integrative chapter.
- The above mentioned pointed out stated maxima are without any abstract, other preliminaries (tables of contents), footnotes, appendices and bibliography, but they are including other content, including tables, charts and captions. Please also see section 3.8 below for programmes involving some other type of submission.
- Where permission remains granted for college kids to submit in a alternative format, specific guidelines for submission is going to be provided indicating whether a commentary is essential and indicating, where appropriate any limitations about how exactly big the thesis. Students submitting in a alternative format remain bound using the appropriate maxima above.
- While a thesis/dissertation might not include extensive unchanged material which has formerly been printed and approved for obtaining a certain amount using this or other College, the incorporation of previous work in a bigger argument is allowable, for instance every time a Masters level dissertation within the newbie in the 4-year PhD can be a lead-directly into doctorate level work.
- Inclusion of Formerly Printed Papers. (not relevant for DClinPsy)
- Theses/dissertations for research levels printed within the Faculty of Graduate Research can include papers using the candidate which have been printed and possess been recognized or printed for publication. Such papers should relate to the candidate’s approved field of study and are actually written with the candidate’s registration. For the MbyRes/MPhil/PhD by Publication only: Theses/dissertations printed for the MbyRes/MPhil/PhD by Publication give a portfolio of printed work which has normally been printed inside the five years before you decide to candidate’s application for that programme. Candidates may laos include any work printed after their registration as extended as all products incorporated are really printed at the goal of submission.
- The amount of papers which may be incorporated isn’t prescribed, nevertheless they but another products inside the thesis/dissertation should reflect the quantity, originality and work load expected in the candidate perfectly in to a conventional thesis/dissertation.
- Acknowledgement needs to be produced inside the thesis/dissertation using the candidate or no paper forms a part of another thesis/dissertation printed inside the College or elsewhere getting a co-author.
- The thesis/dissertation features a paper that has been printed isn’t any make certain the examiners will recommend the award the candidate remains examined. The examiners are required to evaluate the standard of the entire thesis/dissertation within the criteria described within the rules for the relevant levels.
- A thesis/dissertation including printed papers must be presented and arranged as described in Section 5 in the procedure apart from the papers might be presented in their printed form. All printed papers needs to be bound along with another parts of the thesis/dissertation.
- These products inside the thesis/dissertation should continue with the sequence described in five.6. but should in addition possess a extended introduction addressing the next matters:
- The aims, objectives and link between the candidate’s research
- The study methodology where not otherwise described
- The contribution produced with the papers poor the approved field of study
- A remark within the candidate’s contribution to co-authored papers
- A literature review
For the MbyRes/MPhil/PhD by Publication only :
- The extended introduction should comprise an instalment, the word limits in 1.1 apply, which shall advise you that the job forms a coherent whole, and advise you that it meets the award’s assessment criteria.
- Whether or not they remain the named programme, that has specific submission needs, that may vary from standard, students are allowed to create representations to submit a thesis/dissertation in a alternative format, demands to accomplish this must normally be produced inside the application stage. Further guidance, such as the needed forms, are available here .
- Another format (see also inclusion of printed papers ) can include either:a) the presentation of part or all the thesis in a alternative format e.g. it might be a multimedia document (e.g. a component or possibly the thesis inside the whole, that’s presented within the format appropriate possibly for presentation in the conference)
b) A built text as being a artwork, or tabs on professional practice utilizing a volume of situation-studies, which must be supported getting a commentary.
- The formats listed below are not exclusive and candidates should first discuss the problem employing their supervisor when they consider there to obtain possiblity to present their thesis/dissertation differently, who is able to offer info on the suitability of several formats inside the context from the discipline, with regard particularly to the way they communicate with the candidate’s study.
- Permission to accomplish this might be given as lengthy as due to the subject:a) the intellectual company’s thesis/dissertation may be enhanced
b) the qualified supervisor and appropriate examiners may be hired
c) the format is suitable for that thesis/dissertation
d) the format enables students to demonstrate outstanding capacity to satisfy the award criteria
e) or, the selection format is definitely an appropriate specific arrangement to create so that the consistent equitable assessment in the student with disabilities.
- When thinking about a request, the professional-Vice-chancellor and Executive Dean of college should make sure that details like the expected format, size and scope within the thesis are recorded.
- Different types of submission listed under 3.2(b) needs to be supported getting a commentary, which must match the normal standards of presentation in the thesis/dissertation along with an extended introduction addressing the next matters:a) The aims, objectives and link between the candidate’s research
b) The study methodology where not otherwise described
c) The contribution produced with the thesis/dissertation poor the approved field of study
d) A remark within the candidate’s contribution for that areas of the thesis/dissertation
e) A literature review
- The commentary must normally match the following word limits unless of course obviously clearly the most effective remains approved round the programme basis:
Minimum word limit
Maximum word limit
- The thesis/dissertation generally will frequently be vulnerable to the general word limit relevant for that programme. Exceptions with this particular may sign up for students whose built text requires a written form, in which the overall word limit might be extended. This must receive approval inside the discipline Director of PGR who’ll take account of whether it is suitable for the proposal (for instance, in creating a novel). The revised word limit have to take account of once the project can reasonably be completed within the timeframe of study the programme in your mind. Students may also be held for the limits agreed when their request to submit in a alternative format was considered.
- The Professional-Vice-Chancellor and Executive Dean of college shall hold responsibility for decisions taken under section three from the procedure, however, as this is an area of emerging practice, cases must be handled following consultation with Faculty Support and Policy Development according to the Dean within the Faculty. Faculty Support and Policy Development will keep close track of demands additionally for their outcomes and then try to ensure consistency of practice, up to now as they are sensible, happens.
- Applicants should raise such demands incorporated inside the application, and existing students should first discuss the problem employing their supervisor, who’ll refer the problem for that Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Executive Dean of college. Further guidance, such as the needed forms, are available here .
- Normally, all theses will most likely be printed in British.
- Submission within the language apart from British
- Very, students are allowed to submit their thesis within the language of study. Permission is going to be provided as lengthy as due to the subject, the intellectual company’s thesis may be enhanced that the professional supervisor and appropriate examiners may be hired. In thinking about whether such permission must be granted, no account will most likely be used of once the native language within the candidate is British or maybe a language apart from British.
- When submitting their thesis plenty of students must provide you with the abstract within the thesis, that is title in British combined with other approved language.
- Permission needs to be searched for inside the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Executive Dean of college along with the Dean within the Faculty before registration and Postgraduate Administration needs to be informed.
- PAPER: Worldwide A4 (210mm x 297mm) or US Letter size (216mm x 279mm) within range 70 g/m 2 to 100 g/m 2. No limitations they can fit about how exactly big the sketches, maps or similar material, that will, however, be bound combined with thesis/dissertation or include a wallet affixed to within the rear cover.
- MARGINS: 30mm across the right and left-hands sides, 20mm on top and bottom margins.
- TYPING: Double a treadmill-and-a-half spacing needs found in typescript aside from indented quotes or footnotes, that single spacing can be utilized.
- FONT: Size 12 in Arial.
- PRINTING: Double-sided.These needs for the presentation of theses/dissertations for examination might be amended once the examiners have particular convenience needs that will mean they’d need a copy within the thesis in a alternative format, for instance, a large-print copy within the thesis. In tallying for nomination as examiner the examiner should inform the supervisor connected getting convenient needs normally made available in individuals days: the supervisor will assure that student along with the Postgraduate Administration Office find out about these needs. The School can result in meeting any reasonable additional costs due to developing a printed thesis/dissertation within the format available to the examiner.
- NUMBERING OF PAGES: All pages, including abstract, appendices, indices, sketches, maps, pages of photographs, etc, must be numbered consecutively in a single sequence beginning while using the title page as 1.
- SEQUENCE: Material must be arranged within the following sequence:- Title Page, with declaration
– Set of Contents
– Set of Tables, Illustrations, etc (or no)
– Set of connected material (or no)
– Author’s declaration (as needed, just like a statement within the nature and extent within the author’s individual contribution when the work draws on joint research)
– Definitions (or no, being all of the definitions connected getting a terms specific for that work) abbreviations (or no)
– Introduction (when 2.2 applies)
– Text (separated into chapters, sections, etc)
– Appendices (or no)
– Reference (or no)
– Index (or no)
- TITLE PAGE: For theses/dissertations printed for levels of PhD, EngD, MD, MS, MPhil and MbyRes a title page (Example – Phd Title Page ) must be signed for every volume and condition the next:
[ The entire title (and sub-title or no) within the thesis/dissertation as approved ][ The entire amount of volumes, if several and the amount of the specific volume ]
Printed by [ Name ], for that College of Exeter as being a thesis/dissertation* for the grade of Physician of Philosophy/Physician of Engineering/Physician of drugsOrGrasp of Surgery/Master of Philosophy/Masters by Research/by Publication * in [Degree Title ], [ month and year of submission for examination ].
This thesis/dissertation * might be acquired for Library feel the realizing that it’s material which no quotation inside the thesis might be printed without proper acknowledgement.
I approve that material during this thesis/dissertation* which isn’t my very own, personal work remains identified which no material has formerly been printed and approved for obtaining a certain amount using this or other College.
* delete as appropriate
NB: Within the situation within the levels of EdD/DEd Psy and DClinPsy/DClin Res/DClin Prac advice must be searched for inside the relevant College across the exact wording within the declaration.
- ABSTRACT: All theses/dissertations must have an abstract of roughly 300 words bound along with each copy and placed so that you can continue with the title page.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS: The title page and abstract must be adopted immediately using the Table of Contents that will surrender sequence, with page figures, all relevant sub-divisions within the work.
- TEMPORARY BINDING: Lettered strongly across the front while using the title, surname and initials, the amount the task is printed, along with the year of submission. The surname and initials within the candidate must be proven across the spine.
- For examination purposes only, research degree theses and dissertations must be printed the following:
Normally two hard copies which can be in perfect binding or comb binding with paper, thin card or transparent covers.
- Theses/dissertations over 350 double-sided pages extended must be separated into 2 volumes and every volume must have a signed title page showing the entire amount of volumes i.e. a couple of, 2 of two (see 5.7 ). Each volume must have a label across the spine showing name, degree (i.e. PhD), month/year of submission (i.e. May 2013) along with the volume number i.e. a couple of or 2 of two.
- Candidates need to make a duplicate in the thesis for own use for that viva voce examination.
- Most theses includes illustrative material for example maps or photographs. Where these illustrations were not produced using the author within the thesis, the building blocks needs to be acknowledged within the caption. In which the illustration remains produced by another person, it might be vulnerable to ‘3rd party ’, that’s material in almost any format that someone else or entity sports ths legal legal legal rights. Upon final submission within the thesis, a digital copy needs to be deposited in ORE (Open Research Exeter). If you want to include any substantial part of material that’s vulnerable to 3rd party in your thesis/dissertation, you’ll need the written permission within the holder before submitting your thesis/dissertation to ORE and fasten the permission just as one appendix for that thesis and list it within the table of contents. You will find acquired the permission within the holder, you have to submit two versions in the thesis/dissertation, one with the other with no 3rd party material. The removed material must be substituted having a comment for example “this picture remains removed using the author in the thesis/dissertation for reasons”. Additional information are available in the E-Theses FAQs across the Library website.
- Further guidance might be around the Guidance: For Research website and inside the online for Researchers Training Guide in ELE.
- Streatham and St Luke’s campus students should submit their thesis/dissertation for that Forum, Streatham Campus, Stocker Road, combined with fully completed Submission Form. This might then be sent to Postgraduate Administration to process and send to examiners.
- Students inside the Tremough Campus in Cornwall should submit their thesis/dissertation for that Academic Support Unit, combined with fully completed Submission Form. who’ll arrange that it’s sent to Postgraduate Administration to process and send to examiners.
- Students not according to campus must send their thesis by registered delivery getting an existing carrier for example Royal Mail, DHL or TNT to:
Postgraduate Administration, College of Exeter Doctorate College, Room 106, Old Library, Prince of Wales Road, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4SB.
- Return of temporary bound copy:
- Following examination, a number of temporary bound copy within the thesis/dissertation must be came back for that candidate using the examiners.
- Final Submission (Deposit) into ORE
- On notification the examiners are recommending obtaining the amount, candidates are required to deposit the very best kind of their thesis/dissertation into ORE (Open Research Exeter)
E-thesis Guidelines and E-thesis FAQs can be found .
- Once the deposit into ORE is effectively completed students could possibly get email confirmation (such as the persistent URL for the thesis).
- DClinPsy students should forward the confirmation email for that programme administrator.
- On notification the examiners are recommending obtaining the amount, candidates are required to deposit the very best kind of their thesis/dissertation into ORE (Open Research Exeter)
- Final Submissions held by Colleges:
- Candidates might be needed to submit a duplicate in the final submission for that College that they’re registered. This requirement along with the form or forms (eg, hardbound, soft bound or electronic) where the copy within the final submission should be delivered to the school will most likely be clearly per the best University student guide. In which a copy within the thesis or dissertation is needed getting a university, the copy must be printed to the school.
Last reviewed August 2016