At Columbia, PhD defenses generally aren’t public, although CS usually enables students audience. Defenses contain four parts: first, the candidate introduces themselves, then presents all the the task they’re doing, interrupted and adopted by questions inside the committee. Finally, the committee meets individually to speak about the presentation and dissertation.
While many of the committee may have read your primary thesis, you can’t think that everybody has read every chapter.
The committee needs so that you can assess impact and depth. Usually, the committee has a perception of the prior to the defense, but regardless of the student know for it assessment simpler, possibly just through emphasis, will make the defense go a lot more easily.
Generally, the entire defense won’t take greater than two hrs, but need to take significantly a shorter time. Area of the challenge in the defense should be to convince the committee you can summarize information in the work in a short period of time.
- Your presentation (and thesis) must address the next:
- What’s the problem you’re studying?
- How come important ?
- What results perhaps you have achieved?
- Some committee people might wish to see whether the whole shebang remains printed and how and where it had been received. For instance, for people who’ve written software, indicate where it’s used, because of follow-on work or even in a few production or test atmosphere.
- Have all of the your thesis-related publications as being a slide. Indicate any awards the paper might have received. For most people, it’s better to read some recognition than “brag” concerning this personally.
- For people who’ve presented operate in the conference or at job talks, be sure that you may anticipate and address the commonest questions requested there.
- The committee must be handed a duplicate in the slides.
- Expect you’ll briefly summarize your background (undergraduate degree, how extended inside the college, etc.)
- A maximum of 30 slides, plus “supportInch slides that includes a lot more material in situation of questions. The simplest way of creating your committee people mad should be to come unprepared with an amount of 80 slides then madly skip through them.
- Number your slides, especially if your committee people is expounded in via speakerphone. Think about using some type of remote presentation software.
- List your contributions early.
- When presenting your contributions, ensure to utilize “I” instead of “we” and so the committee knows what regions of the job where yours, and that have been group projects.
- Keep discussions of related work very brief, but expect you’ll respond to questions within the “just how can this transformation from so-and-so’s work” succinctly.
- You won’t be requested to exhibit results again.
- Expect you’ll support any comparative statement with details, particularly statements like “works more effectivelyInch, “faster”, “scalable” or “optimal”. If you’re presenting a protocol, you need to it truely does work properly?
- For people who’ve multiple parts in your dissertation, consult with the committee in advance whether it seems sensible to omit most of them for the presentation.
- You should concentrate deeply on one area then to operate on several topics, as both versions is attacked having a moderate depth.
- Systems work needs to be along with implementation and some type of record comparitive analysis to demonstrate the enhancements from existing or alternate approaches.
- Your thesis requires a one page executive summary the layperson can understand. Test: allow it to be for any relative you’ve without any engineering degree.
- It is possible simply to defend a PhD thesis just once your defense is definitely an occasion, so consider dressing appropriately, no under business casual, however a suit isn’t inappropriate.
- It’s customary to supply refreshments for the audience, for example coffee, bagels, cookies and fruit, according to the time.
Negligence PhD Committee People
- Committee people (should) begin to see the draft thesis (and provide feedback). Clearly, students appreciate an in-depth studying, but it’s common for committee people to focus on chapters nearest for expertise. Studying depths varies – some provide line edits, others just suggest bigger issues that needs to be addressed (“Your related work section in Chapter 10 is sparse to cause 2005.”). Although unlikely the location to point “do another year of research”, finishing gaps is ok and I’d rather postpone a defense getting per month if needed. Prior to the committee can find the thesis, I have done an initial or sometimes second studying, nonetheless the entire idea within the committee should be to keep your consultant honest (and complement their understanding or taste).
- Committee people attend the PhD defense, usually personally. Typically, this lasts about 1 hour 30 minutes. Take notes on any editorial enhancements (e.g. “make apparent the throughput graph is measured in gallons/minute”). Election across the outcome and sign the shape.
- When the student is supplied some changes to make use of, the consultant asks students to detail about how precisely they implemented modifications, like the way a author may react to reviewer comments for almost any journal. The committee informally signs off, otherwise, on these changes. There’s it’s not necessary to re-begin to see the thesis.
Before you submit your draft for that committee, ensure to make sure you have transported the following checks:
- Spell check
- Look for missing chapter or figure references
- Section, Chapter, Figure are capitalized
- All references converted from  to [1,2,3]
- Consistent capital in captions
- Verify growth and development of all abbreviations initially instance
- Avoid “tremendous”, “huge” along with other similar adjectives
- Finish to accomplish -> finish-to-finish
- Check references for capital of abbreviations and missing data for example page figures.
(Contributions by Erection disorder Coffman, Jonathan Rosenberg and Sal Stolfo.)