Applicants are viewed by getting a person basis. Details can be found at artandarthistory.uic.edu/content/school-art-art-history-graduate-admissions. In addition for that Graduate College minimum needs, applicants must match the following program needs:
- Baccalaureate Field No limitations.
- Previous Levels Finishing a professional of Arts key in Art History or equivalent is needed for admittance for the PhD program. However, exceptional students might be recognized to the PhD program obtaining a bachelor’s degree, finishing the requisite 96 semester credits of courses but another needs within the degree, without finishing an MA. Students initially recognized within the department for the MA who wish to still the doctoral must match the department’s Master of Arts degree needs and may customize the PhD program. Doctorate applicants who’ve a professional of Arts degree within the related field might be recognized to the doctorate program while using the transfer as much as 32 credits toward the doctoral. Types of appropriate related levels include: MArch, the MFA in Art, along with the MA such humanities areas as history, philosophy, or literature.
- Gpa No under 3.00/4.00 in a appropriate MA from another institution if applying obtaining a BA, you need to have a 3.20 overall along with a 3.50 within the major, or approval using the Graduate Program Committee.
- Tests Needed GRE General.
- Minimum British Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 650 (paper-based) 95, with subscores of Studying 24, Listening 24, Speaking 24, and Writing 22 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 7., with subscores of 6.5 for people four subscores, OR ,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Studying 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Recommendations Three needed, preferably from professors while some who know the applicant’s possibility of serious academic work.
- Personal Statement Applicants must submit a brief statement of purpose (2–3 pages) which will address precisely why for considering doing doctorate work along with the relationship in the make an effort to their professional and career objectives.
- Writing Sample Applicants must submit among the written work (roughly 25 pages).
- Application Deadlines Application deadlines using this program are saved to the Graduate College website at grad.uic.edu/deadlines .
In addition for that Graduate College minimum needs, students must match the following program needs:
- Minimum Semester Hrs Needed 96 semester hrs past the baccalaureate degree.
- Language Needs Students must present proof of advanced understanding of the text apart from British since it requires their selected part of research. Proof of the opportunity to pursue research in languages might be necessary, according to the convenience to literature within the field selected. Picking out a languages needs to be approved with the student’s consultant.
- Course Work Candidates must complete no under 64 semester hrs clearly work past the master’s degree. In the amount, 32 semester hrs needs to be in graduate workshops, which 16 semester hrs needs to be attracted inside the department. No under 32 semester hrs of credit past the MA degree needs to be inside the 500-level. Within the 64 semester hrs needed past the master’s degree, no more than 24 semester hrs of dissertation research are permitted.
Students who’ve taken equivalent course work incorporated inside an MA degree may petition the director of graduate studies for almost any waiver of specific needs no course credit is supplied for almost any waived course.
- Preliminary Examination Needed written and dental, to obtain taken when carried out the program work and gratification within the language requirement. The written examination covers the place of focus the dental examination depends across the written sections.
- Dissertation Needed the dissertation can result in understanding in art history and you will be freely defended prior to the scholarly community.
- Gpa Requirement Students must have a minimum gpa of three.00/4.00. No credit is going to be provided for almost any course taken incorporated inside the doctorate program where the grade earned was within b -.
Interdepartmental Concentration in Gender and Women’s Studies
Students earning a graduate degree during this department may complement their courses by subscribing to a concentration in Gender and Women’s Studies after talking with presenting their graduate consultant. See Gender and Women’s Studies within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section for more information.
Interdepartmental Graduate Concentration in Violence Studies
Students earning a graduate degree during this department may complement their courses by subscribing to a concentration in Violence Studies after talking with presenting their graduate consultant. See Violence Studies within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section or possibly the Jane Addams College of Social Work section for more information.