Your thesis must be presented:
- on single-sided A4 paper
- normally obtaining a 12 point font
- 1.5 line spacing
- obtaining a margin getting no less than 3.5 cm across the left side within the page for text and diagrams to enhance binding
- along with other margins getting no less than 2.5 cm
- explanatory footnotes should stay at home the foot within the relevant pages along with the bibliography should continue with the text as well as any appendices
There is not any needs in relation to font type – you should employ a apparent easy-to-read font for example Ariel or Occasions New Roman.
Page one within the thesis must be a title page indicating:
- the entire title in the thesis
- the amount the thesis is printed
- the growing season in the submission
- any name
Your title page is adopted using the abstract.
The abstract shouldn’t exceed 300 words and may be created with single-spacing somewhere of A4 paper.
The abstract must show your company along with the title in the thesis which should really be utilising a title/heading.
Order of Contents
After your abstract you need to include:
- the acknowledgements page
- their list of contents
- their list of tables
- their list of figures
- their list of abbreviations
- the primary body within the thesis
- any appendices
- the bibliography/references – all works referenced within the thesis must be incorporated within the bibliography
Referencing and Citations
You will need to reference your thesis fully and precisely both to understand your obligations with others and to give your readers to differentiate your opinions from individuals of others you’ve attracted on.
You will find three key rules you need to follow:
- speak to your supervisors at first for info on referencing conventions in your discipline – the 2 primary ones would be the Harvard (author/date) system along with the Vancouver (numbered) system, within the school of Law the Oxford Standard for the Citation of Legal Government physiques (OSCOLA) can be utilized
- your references needs to be accurate – getting inaccurate references is often as bad as getting no references whatsoever and potentially can lead to you being billed with poor academic practice or plagiarism
- your referencing needs to be consistent – make certain the formatting of references regarding capitalisation and punctuation is consistent completely utilizing your thesis
If you’d like general advice on the way to make certain that the thesis is appropriately referenced, see the Referencing and Bibliographies Study Guide .
The College Library offer detailed guides on how to operate the Harvard Referencing and Vancouver Referencing systems.
Bibliographic software enables you to definitely certainly create databases of references that may then be stored, looked and used along with MS Word to input citations whenever you write your thesis. The 2 primary kinds of bibliographic software are EndNote and RefWorks. The College Library offer info on having the ability to view and utilizing bibliographic software .
The initial submission includes two soft-bound copies.
Both copies needs to be perfect bound (also known as thermal or hot glue binding). Comb or spiral binding isn’t acceptable, neither is insertion in a ring binder or slide binder.
Theses which aren’t properly bound won’t be sent for examination.
The insurance policy may be any colour right now. It’s helpful to reprint the title page across the cover nonetheless the spine may be left blank.
If you want to surround a CD or any other loose material together with your thesis then addenda (loose maps / CDs) may be safely housed within the pocket connected to the back cover in the thesis and individually labelled together with your name, degree and year of submission.
Print Services provide a professional printing and binding service and may deliver bound theses for that Graduate School Office free of charge.