The program is provided through the Department of Management Science and knowledge Systems (MSIS). It’s the continuation from the previous concentration in Management Science and also the program of Operations Research provided by the Rutgers Center for Operations Research (RUTCOR).
Primary regions of interest are applied statistics, optimization, business analytics, operations management, inventory theory, scheduling, manufacturing under uncertainty, queuing theory, and risk theory.
Faculty research interests vary from methodology research to quantitative modeling to empirical studies. The MSIS department includes numerous world-famous scholars. Many faculty people serve on editorial boards of major academic journals, have chaired at premier conferences in operations and management science and also have been people of NSF panels along with other advisory boards. Research through the MSIS faculty is broadly printed in magazines and leading journals.
Graduates from the program have acquired academic positions at highly regarded American universities including Situation Western Reserve College, Georgetown College, U . s . States Military Academy, New You are able to College, Northwestern College, Princeton College, yet others, in addition to many top universities far away.
The scholars must have solid college-level understanding of straight line algebra, analysis, and probability, and good programming skills. Students who desire to doctorate study in Operations Research but have to strengthen their background may decide to consider our Master in It program, which admits both part-some time and full-time students. Students within this program take most of the same courses as our doctorate students in accounting human resources and could begin using these courses towards their doctorate degree if they’re later accepted towards the doctorate program.
Course work, the qualifying examination, and also the dissertation
As many as 72 credits is needed for that doctorate degree. These must include:
- a minimum of 18 credits in dissertation research.
- a minimum of 36 credits in degree courses.
- 6 credits in early research needs.
Additional enrollments can also be needed:
- Students are occasionally needed to join non-degree courses to enhance their British or their writing. They might should also sign up for the non-degree course Teacher Training Seminar in their preparation for teaching. These enrollments require payment of tuition, but they don’t count for the 72 credits needed for that degree.
- Students must sign up for 26:711:689 every semester until they’ve defended a dissertation proposal. This registration requires their attendance in MSIS weekly seminar. A grade is offered, however the enrollment is perfect for zero credits with no tuition is billed.
Students take three classes for degree credit each semester throughout the first couple of years. They go ahead and take qualifying examination in the finish from the second year. Throughout their third and 4th year, they write a dissertation. Inside a year after passing the qualifying examination, a student should defend a dissertation proposal.
Foundation/methodology requirement (4 courses)
- 26:960:575 Summary of Probability
- 26:960:577 Summary of Record Straight line Models
- 26:711:651 Straight line Programming
- 26:711:652 Nonlinear Optimization
Major (5 courses)
- 26:711:525 Stochastic Types of Operations Research (pending approval)
- 26:711:653 Discrete Optimization
- 26:711:548 Topics in Applied Operations Research (pending approval)
and a minimum of two courses from the following list:
- 26:198:644 Data Mining
- 26:711:563 Stochastic Calculus for Finance
- 26:960:576 Financial Time Series
- 26:711:557 Dynamic Programming
- 26:711:555 Stochastic Programming
Electives (3 courses, selected in the following)
- 26:223:655 Advanced Econometrics
- 26:198:645 Privacy, Security, and knowledge Analysis
- 26:711:685 Game Theory
- 26:799:675 Marketing Models
- 26:960:580 Stochastic Processes
- 26:711:530 Semidefinate and 2nd Order Cone Programming
- 26:799:660 Logistics Modeling and Algorithms
- 26:799:661 Stochastic Models for Logistics Management
- 26:799:685 Special Topics in Logistics and Marketing Science
- 26:711:685 Special Topics in Operations Research/Management Science
- Theory of Boolean Functions
- Convex Analysis and Optimization
- or other course authorized by the doctorate coordinator
Teaching requirement: Each student must educate a minumum of one course at RBS in the region by which they’re earning a doctorate degree. Prior to doing so, a student is anticipated to join 26:620:701 Teacher Training Seminar, that is trained early in the year semester every year.
First early research requirement (equal to one course): Students write a paper having a faculty member, to become given to the department throughout the fall semester.
Second early research requirement (equal to one course): Write a paper (ideally a dissertation proposal) having a faculty member, to become given to the department throughout the fall semester. Part-time students may postpone participation towards the summer time following the third year.
Other rules and needs: For information on rules and needs that affect all doctorate students in RBS, see Procedures and policies .