Though your kindergarten students may not have highly developed writing skills to express their thoughts, they do have bright imaginations filled with all sorts of creative ideas.
In these 35 new kindergarten writing prompts, your youngest students have the chance to explore their interests, emotions, and the lessons they’ve learned in school.
Kindergarteners will reflect on their relationships with their friends and parents and imagine what it would be like to be in charge of the school. As they practice writing sentences and thinking about their experiences, students will become more comfortable expressing their feelings through writing.
35 Writing Prompts for Kindergarteners
1. What is your favorite book? Why?
2. What is your greatest talent?
3. My best friend is _________ because _________.
4. Why do kids have to go to school?
5. At recess, I like to _________.
6. Write about the best day ever. What would you do?
7. If I received three wishes, I’d wish for __________.
8. If I could be an animal, I would be _________.
9. Do you like movies or music better? Why?
10. Would you rather have a pet cat or dog? Why?
11. What do you like best about our classroom?
12. My favorite thing to do with my parents is ________ because _________.
13. Write about a time when you and a friend argued. What did you do?
14. What is your favorite color? Why?
15. Write three sentences to describe your bedroom.
16. When it’s time for bed, my family ________.
17. _________ is my favorite season because _________.
18. If I could change one thing about the world, I’d change _________.
19. What is your favorite toy? What do you like about it?
20. My favorite part of school is ________ because _________.
21. What have you learned this year?
22. Would you rather play inside or outside on the weekend? Why?
23. What is your favorite thing to play outside?
24. What is your favorite food? Why?
25. Write about a time when you had to wait for something? How did you feel?
26. My favorite toy is _________ because _________.
27. Write about a time you helped your parents. How did you feel?
28. Summer vacation is _________ because ________.
29. If you could be in change of school for a day, what would you do?
30. What is your favorite place in the world? Why?
31. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
32. The best dessert in the world is _________ because __________.
33. How do you know your parents love you?
34. What is the best gift you ever received?
35. Write about a time when you found the answer to something you didn’t know. How did you feel?
Use these kindergarten writing prompts to help your young students practice writing, reading, and reflection. By writing each day, kindergarteners will become more aware of their thoughts and feelings while also developing their skills of articulation and expression. Journaling is the perfect way to help young students further their language skills!