Olindo Isabella was created around the 12 th of November 1979 in Naples (Italia). In May 2007 he received the M.Sc. degree in electronics engineering in the College of Naples Federico II working under prof. Niccol Rinaldi. His M.Sc. thesis worked with I/Q modulators according to highly straight line diodes for radio-frequency applications and it was transported out underneath the supervision of prof. Leornardus de Vreede at Delft College of Technology, Delft (holland). In September 2007 he became a member of the Photovoltaic Materials and Devices group at Delft College of Technology, where he acquired the PhD degree cum laude–with recognition underneath the supervision of prof. dr. Miro Zeman. Throughout the final year of his PhD, he was visiting investigator in the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science, Tsukuba (Japan), within the laboratory of prof. Michio Kondo. Since Feb 2013 he’s Assistant Professor within the Photovoltaic Material and Devices group at Delft College of Technology.
His special areas of practice are opto-electrical modelling, portrayal and implementation of advanced light management approaches to thin-film and wafer-based plastic solar panels. He was among the pioneers to understand thin-film plastic solar panels on periodic gratings. He was the first one to propose the idea of modulated surface textures which enable efficient light trapping over broad spectrum. Also, he effectively fabricated thin-film plastic solar panels with dielectric distributed Bragg reflectors, which could avoid plasmonic absorption losses in metallic reflectors. Lately he has worked on coupled optical and electrical modelling of optically complex structures for example multi-junction solar panels.
He’s active in the research of sunshine management approaches for thin-film plastic solar panels and change in such strategies to thin crystalline plastic wafer-based solar panels. In addition to his development and research of high quality wafer-based plastic solar panels, Olindo accounts for the PV Laboratory and provides lectures on PV systems. He’s led to two scientific books, has 3 patent applications and the H-index is 15 (Google Scholar ).
Room: LB 03.480
Phone: +31 ()15 27 81947
Telefax: +31 ()15 27 82968
• O. Isabella, H. Sai, M. Kondo, M. Zeman, Full-wave opto-electrical modeling of enhanced flattened light-scattering substrate for top efficiency thin-film plastic solar panels . Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications (2012).
• M. Zeman, O. Isabella, K. Jger, R. Santbergen, R. Liang, S. Solntsev, J. Kr, Advanced Light Trapping in Thin-Film Plastic Solar Panels . Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. A (2010).
• B. Lipovek, J. Kr, O. Isabella, M. Zeman, M. Topi, Modeling and optimization of white-colored paint back reflectors for thin-film plastic solar panels . Journal of Applied Physics (2010).
• K. Jger, O. Isabella, R. A. C. M. M. van Swaaij, M. Zeman, Angular resolved scattering measurements of nano-textured substrates inside a broad wave length range . Measurement Science (2011).
• J. A. Sap, O. Isabella, K. Jger, M. Zeman, Extraction of optical qualities of flat and surface-textured transparent conductive oxide films inside a broad wave length range .
Thin Solid Films (2011).
• O. Isabella, S. Solntsev, D. Caratelli, M. Zeman, 3-D optical modeling of single and multi-junction thin-film plastic solar panels on gratings . Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. A (2012).
• O. Isabella, S. Solntsev, D. Caratelli, M. Zeman, 3-D optical modeling of thin-film plastic solar panels on diffraction gratings . Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications (2012).
• A. ampa, O. Isabella, R. van Erven, P. Peeters, H. Borg, J. Kr, M. Topi, M. Zeman, Optimal style of periodic surface texture for thin-film a-Si:H solar panels . Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications (2010).
• O. Isabella, A. Campa, M. C. R. Heijna, W. Soppe, A. J. M. van Erven, R. H. Franken, H. Borg, M. Zeman, Diffraction gratings for light trapping in thin-film plastic solar panels . Proceedings from the 23 rd EU-PVSEC (2008).
Modulated surface textures:
• O. Isabella, P. Liu, B. Bolman, J. Kr, A. H. M. Smets, M. Zeman, Modulated surface-textured substrates rich in haze: From concept to application in thin-film plastic solar panels . Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 37 th IEEE (2011).
• O. Isabella, J. Kr, M. Zeman, Modulated surface textures for enhanced light trapping in thin-film plastic solar panels . Applied Physics Letters (2010).
• O. Isabella, F. Moll, J. Kr, M. Zeman, Modulated surface textures using zincoxide films for solar panels applications . Physica Status Solidi (a) (2010).
Distributed Bragg reflectors:
• O. Isabella, S. Dobrovolskiy, G. Kroon, M. Zeman, Design and use of dielectric distributed Bragg back reflector in thin-film plastic solar panels . Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids (2012).
• O. Isabella, B. Lipovsek, J. Krc, M. Zeman, Photonic crystals back reflectors in thin-film plastic solar panels . Materials Research Society (2009)
For full listing of publications by Olindo Isabella and co-authors click the link .