Faculty of Languages and Cultures
The few suggestions here offer you specific details about using sources, referencing and citation for MA dissertations within the Faculty of Languages and Cultures, that will likely start adding some language data and material.
You’re requested to utilize the support for essay and dissertation writing supplied by exercising and Teaching Unit (internet.soas.ac.united kingdom/ltu). The LTU offers on-line help, workshops the other-to-one tutorials for a lot of regions of academic writing relevant for MA dissertations.
Please also understand that some departments or programmes have an overabundance of specific MA guidelines. In situation of doubt, always continue with the more specific guidelines.
The MA dissertation is all about showing the easiest method to individually investigate round the particular subject, along with a theoretical background. Unlike a UG dissertation, an MA dissertation must be of publishable quality and thus fulfil the needs from the great research session. Therefore, you will have to isolate a practical subject for research as quickly as you can – together with your capability to critically analyse this subject will most likely be assessed.
Choose a appropriate amount of references for your dissertation, and so the studies well founded, more is much more appropriate to less. Although no apparent figures regarding the quantity of sources must be used may be given, it’s important the paper isn’t with various number of works only. During doubt, please get hold of your supervisors together with your set of references as rapidly as you possibly can.
All works reported within the text should appear the long list of references. Works that aren’t reported shouldn’t be indexed by the references. It is essential that quotes within the text, and understanding within the bibliography are formatted for that appropriate academic standard. Browse the referencing guidelines within the training and Teaching Unit.
The MA dissertation is less about showing the easiest method to cope with language material, however, if you’ve got the capacity of studying research within the language in the area, you’re strongly suggested to accomplish this. No apparent quota may be given, nonetheless the types of materials from both languages must be referenced within the text and tightly related to the argument. During doubt, please get hold of your supervisor.
Generally, printed sources for example books and academic content articles are the greater reliable resource and to be preferred over internet sources.
Only Use reliable internet sources, for example governmental or institutional websites (e.g. the United nations, EU, Amnesty Worldwide, College websites, papers written and printed by academics).
Wikipedia, other similar reference sites furthermore to blogs or forums Aren’t to obtain utilized in the dissertation. Because Wikis and blogs are every so often deliberately inaccurate. In the event you uncover relevant details a good hard to rely on website, take a look information within the reliable source, and make use of this as being a reference.
HOWEVER: It’s acceptable to utilize Wikipedia or any ‘popular site’ IF requirements for example OBJECT of research instead of an origin (e.g.
a dissertation regarding how to use language with regards to emoticons in blogs or chat forum would naturally need to consult the webpages in your mind). Nonetheless, even this sort of dissertation must utilize books to be able to introduce the subject and offer it a theoretical backing. It shouldn’t support the research to the webpages only.
Should you have to quote on the web, be sure that your day you last utilized that site seems within the set of references, since the web is not a reliable medium with regards to permanent usage of information, even governments and NGOs update their homepages and delete documents.
You should print anything you might want to use immediately because it may be deleted whenever you progress together with your dissertation. In addition, acquiring a printed entails you can show it for that supervisor upon request.
To prevent plagiarism issues, all indirect and direct quotes must be made apparent within the text, either by inserting the reference in brackets within the texts or even in the footnote.
Be Aware: Even talking about somebody’s ideas, or information removed a manuscript ought to be correctly referenced. Dissertations will get a smaller mark when they’re poorly referenced setup research was original.
Please avoid ‘ibid.’ should you reference a text you’ve quoted before. Although it’s still broadly present in academic texts, it’s very confusing for your audience. Rather, please repeat the specific author, the name along with the page number (e.g. Cruz 1999: 12). Please also reference the rules using the Learning and Teaching Unit.
Indirect references is treatable like British sources. Direct quotes must be altered into British. If no official translation exists, your own personal translations may be used, however, you have to highlight them consequently by inserting ‘my translation’ or ‘translation using the author’ in brackets behind the quote (e.g. Yamada 2006: 12, my translation).
However, conventions may differ based on subject. Book together with your supervisors – and make certain you utilize one coherent system.
MA dissertations have to be double-spaced and there needs to be an sufficient margin on sides.
Please make certain that all pages are numbered.
The term count must be given across the title page.
Also, upon submitting your dissertation, please ensure that you would be the signed plagiarism declaration form. This can be either signed, scanned and incorporated together with your online submission, however by submitting online you effectively accept the declaration because the statement is incorporated across the Moodle Turnitin link.
- The primary body in the dissertation (excluding footnotes and set of references) must be double-spaced, using apparent fonts for example Calibri.
- You can utilize non-Roman script, however a transcription also needs to get. Any non-British word that isn’t self-explanatory or firmly located in the British language ought to be coded in italics and become glossed or described.
- ONE copy in the dissertation must be printed using the the best Moodle Turnitin link by 11.59pm across the deadline. Please be sure that you have your submission receipt that’s evidence the internet submission was effective. In situation you have any intricacies with Turnitin, please email ONE copy in the dissertation to email@example.com kingdom.
An MA dissertation must have:
- A product cover sheet containing title within the dissertation, your company, student ID, degree, the date of submission along with the volume of words.
- This cover sheet Needs to be adopted using the SIGNED commitment of plagiarism (Section 4.4.ii within the Guidelines for the Preparation of Masters Dissertations):
- Declaration by candidate
- I’ve read and understood regulation 17.9 (Rules for school kids of SOAS) concerning plagiarism. I undertake that material presented for examination is my very own, personal work and is not written personally, entirely or even partially, by other person(s). I in addition undertake that any quotation or paraphrase inside the printed or unpublished work of 1 body else remains duly acknowledged within the work that individuals gift for examination.
I give permission for almost any copy of my dissertation to obtain kept in the school’s discretion, following final examination, to produce created for reference.
- Signed…………………………… (student)
- A table of contents (if relevant):
Please try and structure your dissertation along numbered sections it’ll make it a great deal simpler that you need to write, since it will also help you structure your thinking – and furthermore it can make it simpler for your examiners to find out it and follow your train of thought. Please make certain the dissertation has page figures. Your table of contents must have the page number for every section properly. The table of contents should also would be the bibliography as well as any appendices in the dissertation.
- An abstract which will give a brief statement (no more than 200 words) regarding the findings and primary styles.
- Volume of words: is identified as the amount of words within the printed work including quotes, footnotes, titles, abstracts, summaries and tables of contents. Appendices and bibliographies aren’t incorporated within the quantity of words. Appendices won’t normally be marked and they also shouldn’t include material necessary to the argument coded however body within the work.
- Bibliography: should contain all works reported in your dissertation and none you have not used. It ought to be sorted alphabetically, online sources with no apparent author have to be listed individually. Please make certain the reference and citation style is consistent, and follows an recognized style format (like the Harvard reference style). Mention of works in non-Roman script includes Romanisation. Be aware that poor referencing can lead to a cost decrease in the objective, so please ensure that you reference correctly.
- Appendices: A thing that is unavailable for that examiners, or texts that you’d like to analyse more profoundly, plot synopses of flicks, dramas, the body from the empirical findings (for example interview transcripts) … a thing that is essential for that knowledge of the dissertation might be placed in a appendix – If you’re talking about this in your actual text.
If you’re unsure concerning how to reference, please reference the documents provided with the training and Teaching Unit on their own self-studies website internet.soas.ac.united kingdom/ltu/studysupport/helpyourself/ .
Share this site
SOAS College situated in london (School of Oriental and African Studies) 2016. All legal legal legal rights reserved.